Restore Backup after 2019 Upgrade

Frank_9885980
Frank_9885980 Member Posts: 4
Accounts Personal Plus 2019
After installing the upgrade to 2019 from the 2018 version I am only able to open 1 of 3 files I have been using. I backed up all files to my hard drive before uninstalling 2018 and completing the upgrade. All the files are still on my hard drive under the "documents" tab.
I have gone "file/RestoreBackupFile/RestoreBackup/OK" but then nothing happens. I am able to use the "preferences" tab in the "RestoreBackup" box to select the backup file from my documents folder but no effect. 
The same happened when I upgraded to 2018 last year but the problem self corrected after I restarted my computer. No such luck this time.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Frank

Comments

• John Campbell
    John Campbell Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Frank,

(I am assuming that when you say "3 files" you are referring to 3 separate .qdf file groups for 3 different accounts)

While it is good to do backups, you should be able to use the latest 2018 database files with RPP 2019. To do this you need to open the appropriate .qdf files of the same path you used for RPP 2018. These files should not have been deleted when you deleted the RPP 2018 program.
    All you need to do is use File >Open and select the 3 files that previously identified these accounts, just as you did previously.

If your backups were done recently, they should also be able to be recovered, but make sure:
    You have 3 different backups for the 3 accounts, and
    You are recovering each backup into a different new .qdf file name and/or possibly directory. I would expect you need to create a new template for each backed up account.

John
  • Frank_9885980
    edited December 2018
    Hi John

Thank you for responding.

I agree with you but the "file>open" path only leads to 1 file. You are correct that I am talking about 3 different qdf files. This is what I expected to be the case but unfortunately it has not happened.

I do have 3 different backups for the different qdf files and can still locate them in my documents folder. However as per my original note the "restore backup" option does not work for some reason.

The guy who solves my technology problems for me did the installation of the 2019 update. In the course of doing so he first uninstalled the 2018 version in accordance with the instructions. Whether something may have happened in that process I do not know.

I am thinking my best option may be to reinstall the 2019 update and see if I have any better luck.

Thanks
    Frank 
  • John Campbell
    John Campbell Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Frank,

If you have the 3 x backups as .rkn files; these are basically .zip files. You could change the file name from .rkn to .zip and extract the contained files into 3 separate directories (use short names) and then you should be able to open each from RPP_2019. If you are familiar with switching between 3 different databases, this should make sense to you ?
  • Frank_9885980
    edited December 2018
    Hi John

We are now exceeding my technical capability but here is what I can tell you.

Each back up shows as a ".QDF" file (with a red marking in the folder box alongside it) and then has 2 further files - a .QEL and .QPH. I have previously backed up successfully from the .QDF file.

One point I did not mention before is that when I use file/open I get a dropdown box that asks "If you would like to work with a file on another disk, insert the disk now". I get no other option. It appears not to recognise my hard drive as an option.

The only other quirk is that I am using a Mac laptop and parallels software.

Thanks
    Frank
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    Robyn Kelly (Partner) Accredited Partner Posts: 473 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited September 2019
    Frank is it possible you are trying to restore the data file from a folder and restore to the same folder?  If so this wouldn't work I feel this is why you may be getting the response in the program that you are getting.  Can you COPY all of the files to a USB and then restore them to the default folder which should be DOCUMENTS > QUICKEN.  If there are already the same files in that folder maybe move them to a different folder first.
    Regards, Robyn Kelly
  • Frank_9885980
    edited September 2019
    Hi Robyn. I have managed to solve my problem, by uninstalling the 2019 version and then reinstalling it. Magically everything worked following the reinstallation so I dont know what the issue was but I seem to have found my way around it. Thank you for taking the time to reply. Frank
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    Robyn Kelly (Partner) Accredited Partner Posts: 473 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2018
    Great Frank!  Happy New Year.