Payment allocation problem

Joanne Sedgman
Joanne Sedgman Member Posts: 24
edited July 2020 in Accounts Hosted
I enter a bill at the end of a quarter where the commissions received does not cover the costs so it means there is no commission payment for the month and will hold over until the next month. The bill entered is a mix of income and expenses which leaves an amount owed to be paid to the supplier. This gets allocated when the next months commissions come in and therefore the bill is paid with that commission run. This has always worked fine until recently when now I pay the bill off with the commission run the following month ie. Bill is for $1000, I pay $1000 (reconciled amount) but when I go back into the bill it shows $1100 has been paid towards this bill leaving it with a $100 credit in the bills list. Why does this happen. I have deleted the payment and the bill several times to make sure I am doing the right thing but it keeps doing the same thing. Can someone help me as I now have three credits in the bills list which I cannot close off. This also throws the GST reports out as it is telling me I have paid more GST than I actually have. Has anyone run into this problem before. Thanks

Comments

• Joanne Sedgman
    Joanne Sedgman Member Posts: 24
    edited July 2020
    I have always been able to do this. Why would you not be able to?
  • Kwikbooks (Professional Partner)
    Kwikbooks (Professional Partner) Member Posts: 824 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    It looks like it is gst driven somehow, are you sure the bill isn't +gst, can you put up a screenshot or email one to me... Kim@kwikbooks.com.au
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Joanne.  This is also sounding a bit like a problem that has plagued the entering some bills for a number of years now (lucky you if it is now only starting to happen to you).  The problem that I am referring to tends to crop up when a bill has debits and credits e.g. something like a discount is included.  When paying the subsequent bill, whilst on the face of it, everything has worked out fine, a remnant amount of a few cents shows up in the listing, even though the balance is zero.  Attempts to try and fix the problem usually end up with more errors.  Under these circumstances, Reckon has advised that any credits should not be included in the bill being entered, but rather, a credit note should be issued for any credits.  This may be of some relevance with your current problem.
    John L G