Cannot delete a duplicated payrun

Ian McDougall
Ian McDougall Member Posts: 9
edited January 2020 in Reckon One
I went to do a scheduled payrun today, weekly,, only to find that this weeks pay run was not there to be picked up and worked on. For some reason next weeks pay run was there. Nothing I seemed to do could get next weeks scheduled pay to this week.

In the end i resorted to setting up an unscheduled pay run for today. I got right trough, went to save and close it only to see when the routine had been done that I have two (2) unscheduled payruns with today's date.

I have tried deleting the pay runs that didn't work, it just gave me amessage saying payroll error code on trying to delete the pay run.

I have managed to get both pays back to draft stage so presumably the are not added to the YTD figures for ATO purposes and our own internal processes.

Can anyone advise me how I correct this rather unfortunate mess.

Regards

Ian McDougall

Comments

• Hawk
    Hawk Member Posts: 65
    edited January 2020
    Is frustrating when you got duplicated payruns or journal entries. Sometimes, I just tried doing the steps to rectify the issue. (1) deleting the payment attached to the payrun. (2) undo the payrun. (3) delete the payrun. Hopefully, it would trigger the system to remove both payruns. Most of the time, it worked for me!
  • Peter Meagher
    Peter Meagher Member Posts: 17
    edited January 2020
    I had a duplicated payrun (I have no idea how that occurred) and I chose one and clicked ‘undo payrun’ and then deleted that payrun. However, in doing this, the system deleted both the original and the duplicate and I can find no way of retrieving the original so that fortnight’s payrun no longer exists on the system and this has put tax, super etc in an incomplete state. Does anyone know if it is possible to retrieve the deleted payrun? Cheers Peter.
  • Master Painters
    Master Painters Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2020
    Hi Peter, 
    I've had the exact same issue recently and couldn't find anyway to retrieve the 2nd deleted payrun - that like you I didn't delete.
    And to make matter worse you can't re-run a weekly payrun. The only sollution I could find was to create an unscheduled payrun and recreated it.  Thankfully I have a small staff and knew the amounts I'd paid to each employee so I could work out the data to re-enter. 

Love to hear if there was a way to retrieve your payrun as my work around cost me hours.

• Master Painters
    edited January 2020
    I've had issues now with 2 duplicated payruns.

Made the mistake of trying to undo & delete the first one I found only to have Peter Meagher's issue with it deleting both payruns instead of just the one I was in and then with no way to retrieve the data or re-run a scheduled weekly payrun.  In the end the only work around I could find was to create an unscheduled payrun and back track my data.  Painful.

So I'm I'm now stuck with the 2nd payrun duplication to try and fix but obviously deleting them isn't an option and I think I've figured out why that happened the first time.

Two sets sets of journal enteries have been created from the payruns and are impacting my P&L.
    This made sense and I assumed that one belonged to each of the payruns.
    I checked the payments and they are all only linked to one of the journals and the other is showing as still available. (which is how I found it the mistake as when I reconcile current weeks payruns to the bank data transfer it offers me the old outstanding journal entry as a match option)
    Again this all makes sense and should have made fixing the issue simple - undo and then delete the payrun associated with the unwanted journals which is not associated with any payments.

However when i go into the payruns I realised that they are both actually linked to only one of the journals. This means I can't undo either payrun as both are linked to payments that are reconciled -  and this would hence delete both which is exactly what happened with the first duplicated payrun I tried to fix.

I'm lost to understand how I can have 2 payruns linked to one set of payments/journals.  I definitely only have one payment transaction for that month which has been reconciled to the bank statement.
    Thankfully while the journal are impacting the P&L and need to be address, the duplicate payruns haven't affected my YTD payrun totals for STP or the PAYG reporting prepared for BAS submission for the impacted quarter.

Can anyone suggest where to begin fixing this mess? 

I wish these were the only issues I've had with Reckon One payroll but unfortuanlely not.
    From my experience, it is a glitch ridden, clunky add on and I'm so glad the primary payroll I work on is through Quickbooks. 

• Eric Murphy
    Eric Murphy Member Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Give their tech support a ring, they've been pretty helpful with payrun related tasks & issues whenever I've had to speak to them.
  • Master Painters
    edited January 2020
    Hi Eric,

Called tech support today and unfortunately I have no good news to report.

They acknowledged that this problem of duplicating payruns is a known issue, apparently caused by the system ghosting the payrun when the original becomes corrupted.  It's a system error not user so that's comforting to know in a way.  It has been referred to development team to fix but in the mean time there is no simple work around.

As I already realised there is no way to delete a payrun journal except by deleting the payruns associated with it. However since neither of my payruns are associated with the system generated journal I need removed, I will be forced to delete the duplicated payrun which has been linked to journals I wanted to keep and it will actually delete both of the payruns for that period and all the journals they system created.

So the fix process looks like this:
    - The payments matched to this payrun will first have to be unlinked
    - the payrun will then have to deleted (check both journals are gone at this point)
     - now the payrun will need to be manually replicated via a backdated unscheduled payrun.
    - After this the associated payments will need to be reallocated
    -  and then the bank reconciliations will have to be redone.

All the while cross checking that this pricess doesn't alter any of my finalised BAS PAYG reports or STP reporting.

Utterly painful and insanely frustrating that I'm about to loose 1/2 a day for a known issue. 
    Really hope Reckon is prioritising this fix.