multi user - how does it update the company file

Options
Casey Mureddu
Casey Mureddu Member Posts: 3
edited June 2020 in Accounts Hosted
Hi,

So I am going to be setting up multi user access however I am trying to get my head around if this will work. 

Our desktop computer will have the main file, while the laptop will have the second log in. If the laptop is not connected to the same internet/server at the time of update will it still update the main file? If not immediately, will it update when it reconnects to the internet/server?

we are using Reckon Accounts Premier 2019 - 2 User.

Comments

• Charley
    Charley Member Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Providing you're using Accounts Hosted, what's it matter, as long as both are connected to the internet. All my clients have different service providers and if we go into multi user we're both connected and I'm in one town and they are 150km away.

If you're using a desktop version then you both have to be networked and not over the internet.
  • Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,293 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert
    edited May 2020
    Options
    The laptop will be connecting to the same file on your computer via the internet, there is only one file. If it was Hosted the file would not be kept on your computer
  • Datarec_ReckonLtd
    Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,063 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Hi Casey,

You have posted your question under the category "Business Range: Accounts Hosted" yet your question pertains to the Reckon Accounts Premier (Business Range: Accounts Business Range) desktop software.

The Reckon Accounts Premier software can be installed on your desktop PC and the laptop.

However the company data file (QBW) can only be on ONE of these computers.

The company data file cannot be on the desktop and the laptop simultaneously.
    There is no offline synchronisation taking place.

You have indicated that you will place it on the desktop PC.

For the laptop to be able to access the QBW file, it would need to be on the same network as the desktop PC which Charley has indicated.

Are wanting to make a data file that is on your desktop PC accessible 'over the internet' externally such as to your laptop when it is not connected to the local network?

Example: the user that has the laptop is travelling outside the office, sitting on a park bench underneath the cool shade of an old oak tree...

For that scenario we recommend that you make use of the Reckon Accounts Hosted platform, instead of the Reckon Accounts Premier desktop-software.

• Casey Mureddu
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Thank you for this response - your example explains exactly what I was trying to get across. i have selected the wrong category - thank you for picking that up. 
    so the Reckon Accounts Premier desktop-software is not able to do what we are looking at. we would need accounts hosted? 

if we keep the Reckon Accounts Premier desktop-software there is no way to update the file on the desktop computer without backing it up?

thanks
    Casey 
  • Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi Casey - for Reckon Accounts Premier 2019 - you will have a single datafile which sounds like it will live on the desktop - the multi user will only work when both computers are talking to each other... so if the laptop is disconnected from the network where the desktop computer is connected  - then you SHOULD NOT enter any data via the laptop - if you do then a) there shouldn't be a file there anyway - and b) if there is, it will be the wrong one and you wont be able to merge anything - you will have to re-key the data into the correct file.  If the 2 machines are often disconnected from the network but you want to use both - then you should consider switching to Hosted?
  • Casey Mureddu
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Hi Linda, this response has been very helpful. 
    thank you for you assistance.