Quicken Home and Business 2012 on Windows 10 registration

Options

I have been successfully using Quicken Home and Business 2012 on my Windows 10 PC for several years but due to a corrupted windows installation have had to reinstall Windows 10. Now Quicken Home and Business 2012 throws up error messages when it tries to re-register the CD key.

Does anyone know the solution? I am running it as administrator in compatibility mode for Windows 7. I do not know if it is a .net framework problem or something else.

Seems to be identical to this problem (but the solution was never divulged) here discussed earlier on this forum https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:skBgHIvyJwEJ:https://community.reckon.com/discussion/7969474/quicken-2012-upgraded-from-7-to-10-and-wanted-activation-again-but-quicken-crashes

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,389 Community Manager Community Manager
    Options

Hi @Frank111

My immediate thought would be to perform a clean uninstallation/reinstallation now that the operating system has been reinstalled.

However, can I just confirm the process you are going through within the software to register your key.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Frank111
    Frank111 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2020
    Options

It is all a full clean install and the first thing you have to do upon starting up the Quicken program is put in the CD Key. I do that, it goes to contacting the activation server, then it throws an error and gives you the option of sending a report, then closes the program.

However I now have the program working. While the automatic renewal over the internet when on windows 10 is broken. I found out by not being connected to the internet it gives me a choice of manual registration over the telephone. The program gives a long series of letters and numbers, and giving that to the helpdesk, they gave me a code to put in and it automatically activates.

• Aussat_Sparkie
    Aussat_Sparkie Member Posts: 1
    Options

Thanks Frank111 for your informative suggestion. I have Quicken Personal Plus 2012, and have just built a new PC with a new WIN10 install, and had an Error code just like you. Your trick of pulling the ethernet cable to force the software to give you a precious phone number, and a window to complete the activation process, is simple, but it works! Also the support agent in India was very helpful and positive in his outlook during these covid times.

Reckon Community helped a lot.