Over payment - Should you Journal it?

jzac18 Member Posts: 1

I have a customer who paid a weird amount of money (286.38) into my bank account with not owing anything. They receive a monthly invoice of different amounts each month. I can keep this incredit for them but do I do a Journal Entry for the amount?

The amount has also turned up in my monthly bank statement. I want to reconcile for the month but have no entry for this odd amount.

What should I do?



  • Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,197 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert

    You could just enter it as a deposit and post to a clearing account. E.g. Contra, until you find out what it is and either refund it or allocate to an invoice - no tax code