Bank downloads appearing as .pdfs not .qifs

Options

First time in discussion so not sure if category is correct. I am looking for a solution.

My Bank Downloaded files have all changed recently from .qif files to .pdf and of course, I can’t import/open them in my accounts...

I cannot find in Windows 10 any extensions to change them back or a way of doing it.

"Apps and features" is showing a $ sign for Reckon, but in “import to …… “ window, looking in Bank Downloads where the files are they are all showing Adobe Acrobat Pro DC despite "type".qif. and will not import as such.

I am still working in Reckon Personal Plus 2019

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,416 Community Manager Community Manager
    Options

I can't say I've come across something like this previously. My initial thought was that it looks like it could be a settings or file association issue on your PC. Have there been any changes you've made recently to how files extensions are opened and/or what apps are assigned to open them? You may need to look for a way to disassociate Adobe from being the default app for that file extension method.

I notice the dates of those files in your screenshot were created previously. If you download a brand new QIF and save it to a different location on your PC, does the same thing occur?

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,303 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert
    edited March 2021
    Options

They’re not PDF files they are qif files, but in the past you have tried to open a qif file and it has been associated with Adobe, hence the icon. Ignore the icon and use just as you would normally

i hadn’t read your original post so you may have already tried this, sorry I have nothing more to suggest

• tregear
    tregear Member Posts: 12
    Options

Kris,

thanks but they associate with Adobe which of course rejects them as unopenable, but they do not open in Personal Plus.

• Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,303 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert
    Options

Can’t you go into the Windows file associations and change the connection there? Or delete Adobe and that might break the association, then reinstall Adobe

• tregear
    Options

Rav,

I tried your suggestion in downloading .qif data from Amex. it opens in Adobe and tells me Adobe Acrobat could not open.ofx9!).qif because it is not a supported file type or because it has been damaged. This of course I know but I can't find a way to dissociate Adobe from being the default App. I couldn't, therefore, download to a different folder. I think I will have to go to Adobe. Some of the files I selected to show were only downloaded a week ago, they look older because of the way I named them. It was happening with the ones I tried to download yesterday. I just used those as an example. Thanks for the assistance.

• Kris_Williams
    Options

Have you tried right clicking on a File and selecting open with....... and search for your program

also do a search for Application file icons change to Acrobat or Reader icon on Windows, there’s a bit of information out there to try

• tregear
    Options

Kris,

Thanks for all your suggestions.

This one is beating me, I always search pretty deeply for "ways to".. but not getting too far on this one. I will keep trying over the weekend. I think I will eventually uninstall the old program and download the current program. When I download new bank data it disappears and seemingly doesn't go to the chosen folder, I can see it but when I try to export it isn't registering.

Again, Thanks for your assistance

• Kris_Williams
    Options

Tis a mystery for sure!

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,416 Community Manager Community Manager
    Options

@tregear

I've just had a chat with our tech team and one of their suggestions is to change the file association from Adobe to potentially Excel and see if that works out better.

If that doesn't give you any joy, there's a bit of info online in regard to resetting file association types and I'll link one below but I cant guarantee the reliability of the procedures outlined from these sources.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• tregear
    Options

Rav,

I have deleted Adobe Acrobat DC and that initially solved the problem in disassociating it from the .qif files. But now I have no app associated with the files for performing this download action from the Banks to a file/folder.

I will try and associate a .qif extension in the Defaults Apps Setting but as yet cannot see one installed. Thank you for the link.

• tregear
    Options

Kris,

I took one of your suggestions and I have deleted Adobe Acrobat DC and reinstalled it. That initially of course solved the problem in disassociating it from the .qif files. But now I have no app associated with the files for performing this download action from the Banks to a file/folder.

I will try and associate a .qif extension in the Defaults Apps Setting but as yet cannot see one installed. Thanks.

• Kris_Williams
    Options

Very frustrating I’m sure

• tregear
    Options

Rav,

If I upgrade to 2021 Personal PLUS FROM PERSONAL PLUS 2019 do I have to upgrade first to Home and Business 2020 and then to Personal plus 20 and then personal Plus 2021

• Kris_Williams
    Options

I’m fairly certain that would be a no, but yes Rav is the expert

• Rav
    Options

You can upgrade directly to 2021 Personal Plus from 2019 Personal Plus, there is no need for intermediary upgrades.

Also just to note, Home and Business is a different variant of the Personal range software, specifically its a version that has some additional functionality over Personal Plus. If your file gets upgraded by it being opened in Home & Business it gets flagged and cannot go back and be opened in Personal Plus as any additional functionality that has been processed on the file does not exist in the PP version.

I'll add our 2021 installation & upgrade guide below which covers the upgrade process in much more detail -

• tregear
    Options

Rav,

I had no problems upgrading to 2021 Personal Plus, but it didn't solve my problem of being unable to download data from my banks/credit cards as I have done for years.

I get an error message telling me: The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action Please instal an App or create an association in the Defaults Apps setting page.

In the list of Default application by file type there is no .QIF listed only .QDB, .QDF, .QDT and .QFX

I cannot, therefore, change the association to Excel as suggested. I need to add .QIF as a default application I would think, but have been unable to find a way of doing this. My previously downloaded files are showing as .qif.

• Rav
    Options

When you've saved the QIF file on your PC, right click on it and select 'Open With'. An option box will appear, select Excel from this list. You may need to click on 'More Options' or 'Look for another app on this PC' if Excel isn't one of the first options presented.

• tregear
    Options

Rav,

Thanks, for all your help

I couldn't download the transactions from the bank today to even save it as I said above. I will try that with the earlier files.

I have found a "workaround" this afternoon which seems to be working even if tedious. I believe that the chrome browser may also be the problem.

I will keep working on it and get back if I have any further problems.

Appreciate your assistance.

Ann

• tregear
    Options

Kris,

Thanks for your input. I still have the problem but as I said to Rav I have found a way around it, It is tedious but is working today. I can at least download the transactions directly into a Bank Download File as a QIF file and open them into PP despite the error notices I am getting. 🙂

Ann

• Kris_Williams
    Options

I do hope you can sort it soon, nothing more frustrating when things don’t work as they should