Question When I add words to the Spell Checker where are they kept? Also can I delete words that I a

Options

I found the following answer on Community, however can someone advise how to open the UserDictionary.tlx file to delete an entry. Using Reckon Accounts Preimer Edition 2018.

Thanks

Carolyn

Answer

The words you add to the Spell Check are kept in a file called UserDictionary.tlx, you can open this file in Notepad and view the words you have added. You can delete any of the added entries but will have to Re-start QuickBooks before the dictionary is updated.

If you add a word to the dictionary it will affect any data-file opened on that computer but if you open the data-file on a different computer the word won’t be in the dictionary and will have to be added on that computer.

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,416 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi @CMarshall

It depends on the operating system you're running however I just had a look at my installation of Reckon Accounts Enterprise 2020 running on Windows 10 and the location of the user dictionary .tlx file was in C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\Reckon Accounts 2020\Components\BusinessPlanner

You can also use the Windows Explorer to search for the file as well. Once you've located it, open it using Notepad.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• CMarshall
    CMarshall Member Posts: 3
    Options

HI Rav

Thanks for your help, I am using Windows 10 also. I followed the path above where you found dictionary, and it said " I can only access this feature from within Quickbooks" do you know how I can access it within Quickbooks?

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,416 Community Manager Community Manager
    Options

Hmm that's strange. How are you attempting to open it when you receive that message?

When you've found the .tlx file in your directory right click on it and select 'Open With' then choose Notepad from the pop-up that appears. You may need to click on 'More Apps' or 'Look for another app on this PC' if Notepad doesn't appear in the options from the outset.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• CMarshall
    CMarshall Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi Rav

I appreciate your time thank you. I have found some .tlx files in "Components" but none of them have my word that I have spelled incorrectly. Any further suggestions?