re Payroll refund from an overpaid employee


How do I go about entering a payroll repayment from an employee. My employee is on Paid Parental Leave. Centrelink are now paying her direct. We had to pay her initially as Centrelink didn't have it all together and she would have been 6 weeks without income if we had not paid the PPL to her directly. Centrelink have now paid her a lump sum for the 6 weeks that we paid her and she has repaid the net amount paid to her from us. I have tried entering a negative but that of course Reckon does not like that ! Her PPL payments from us were processed as normal pays and sent through to STP, so I need to know how to adjust all of that out?????


  • Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,400 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert

    Can’t you just delete the payments made to her that should equal the amount deposited and the reconciliation will still be correct. Any changes will be picked up on the EOFY finalisation. Or you could do an update submission for the weeks she was paid, assuming there were other employees paid in those weeks.

    ‘that’s all I have to suggest, but many others may have a better solution

  • Acctd4
    Acctd4 Accredited Partner Posts: 3,483 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert
    edited April 2021

    Delete the PPL Paycheques paid to the employee & instead enter them as Write Cheques - under the same employee name (disregard the warning message) - posting to a PPL Payroll Expenses sub account (no tax code!)

    Record the repayments from the employee as Make Deposit transactions using the same employee name & the same PPL sub account. This will clear the applicable PPL amounts out & remove them from the Payroll.

    If the employee is not being paid again in this FY, submit an STP Update Event (for this employee only) for the last Pay Event they had a Pay in. This will correct the STP YTD figures.

    NOTE: Due to a long standing glitch that drops out the Payee name in stand-alone deposits, you will need to select/enter the employee name in the bank register on their Deposits. This will then display these entries in the employee’s transactions.

    Shaz Hughes Dip(Fin) ACQ NSW, MICB

    *** Reckon Accredited Partner (AP) Bookkeeper - specialising EXCLUSIVELY in Reckon Accounts / Hosted ! ***

    * Regd BAS Agent (No: 92314 015)* ICB-Certified Bookkeeper* Snr Seasonal Tax Consultant since 2003 *

    Accounted 4 Bookkeeping Services

    Ballajura, WA

    (NB: Please give my post a Like or mark as Accepted Answer if I have been able to resolve your query as this helps others when seeking solutions!)