Dafydd Jones
Dafydd Jones Member Posts: 6 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm after some advice from bookkeepers/BAS agents please.

What qualifications do I need to be paid as a bookkeeper/BAS lodgement agent?

I have my own Trust/Pty ltd company with abn.

I have experience with Reckon since 2000 when it was QuickBooks, pre GST.

Since 2000 I've been working in my parents small business and doing payroll, bookkeeping, BAS lodgement for 4 separate abn's.

My parents are retiring next year and I need to secure my future. I'm hoping to work from home helping small businesses with their payroll/bookwork/BAS lodgement.

Has anyone here done a similar career move that can advise me?

How did you start? What qualifications did you get? How much do you charge per hour? How did you get clients?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Dafydd Jones

[email protected]


  • Bruce
    Bruce Member Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

    In terms becoming authorised, starting point to look at is the Tax Practitioners Board

  • Acctd4
    Acctd4 Accredited Partner Posts: 2,002 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert
    edited October 2021

    Hi Daffyd

    Check out the requirements in the link posted above by Bruce.

    In summary, you need:

    * a Certificate IV in Bookkeeping (as a minimum qualification),

    * sufficient hours experience (the exact number varies depending on if you’re a full member of a professional bookkeeping/accounting association or not) &

    * PI insurance

    in order to become a Registered BAS Agent.

    Note, you MUST be a BAS Agent before you are legally permitted to charge a fee for applicable services!

    Shaz Hughes Dip(Fin) ACQ NSW, MICB

    *** Reckon Accredited Partner (AP) Bookkeeper - specialising EXCLUSIVELY in Reckon Accounts / Hosted ! ***

    * Regd BAS Agent (No: 92314 015) * ICB-Certified Bookkeeper * Snr Seasonal Tax Consultant since 2003 *

    Accounted 4 Bookkeeping Services

    Ballajura, WA

    0422 886 003

    [email protected]

    (NB: Please give my post a Like or mark as Accepted Answer if I have been able to resolve your query as this helps others when seeking solutions!)
  • Dafydd Jones
    Dafydd Jones Member Posts: 6 ✭✭

    Because I want to and I'm free to do so!

    I have relevant questions and there's some people in the community that could help me for my future.

  • Dafydd Jones
    Dafydd Jones Member Posts: 6 ✭✭

    Thanks for your info Shaz.

    Seems to be quite a few things to be done to be to be qualified. The tafe course is 6 months full time or 18 months part time online. Either way is a bit difficult, f/t is good but it would leave me jobless during the day. Online is good but takes a long time.

    Maybe I could get RPL. I've also asked my accountant for a letter stating my experience of 21 years working under her supervision.