Casual Employee Set up with Base Rate & Casual Loading

Andy_9860584
Andy_9860584 Member Posts: 37

Is there an information sheet on how to set up a casual employee in payroll to show the base rate separately from the casual loading. I also need to include overtime payroll items.

Answers

• Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,272 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert

I use this process every week for a pharmacy, and I have multiple pay rates

Normal hours

Saturday loading

Sunday loading

Overtime

I setup these pay items, allocating super where required and also leave accrual on the normal hours. I use the per hour method for holiday and sick pay

once they are setup you add them to the employee’s name and pay details. I’m sure others will do things differently but this has worked for me for many years

• Andy_9860584
    Andy_9860584 Member Posts: 37

Zappy yes employsure have told me that it must be seperated on payslips. I hadn't heard of it before and have processed a lot of wages without it showing this way.

• Bruce
    Bruce Member Posts: 439 Professional Partner Professional Partner
    edited April 2022

Andy

Have a look at https://www.fairwork.gov.au/tools-and-resources/fact-sheets/rights-and-obligations/record-keeping-pay-slips#What-are-the-pay-slip-obligations re what is required to be included on payslips.

Quoting from this, in terms of what MUST be on a payslip

• any loadings (including casual loading), monetary allowances, bonuses, incentive-based payments, penalty rates, or other separately identifiable entitlement paid. For example, a note could be included on a pay slip that the hourly rate incorporates the relevant casual loading.

This clearly suggests that casual loadings do NOT have to be separately identified. On behalf of most of my clients I use the combined rate as this is the employee's "base rate".

However one client has requested the loading be reported separately - rationale here being "to remind employee that they are casual and get a loading so don't complain because you have to take unpaid time off when they are sick". Not sure how effective the messaging is, but each to their own......