Inability to open Quicken QDF file on Dell desktop computer

Options
Tigervin
Tigervin Member Posts: 3

I have been a heavy user of Quicken Personal 2002 second edition Australian edition version 9.1.0 since 1999. The program is currently installed on my Dell desktop computer, running Windows 7.

I have a customer ID, along with a registration number and a 20 digit licence key.

I have recently been unable to solve a problem of being unable to open the Quicken QDF file on the computer’s hard disc. Fortunately over the years I have religiously backed up the QDF file on two separate external discs (currently USB drives). As I cannot now open what should be the primary QDF file on the computer hard disc, I have to open a USB QDF file (which is recognised on the Dell computer) to record financial entries which I then back up to the other USB disc. I also back up to the QDF file on the Dell computer which I can only open if either of the USB drives is plugged in to such computer.

My question is: how may I enable the QDF file on the Dell computer to open of its own accord in the C: drive without relying on the USB drive to be plugged in to the computer before this may happen?

Should I uninstall, then reinstall the Quicken program? I still have the installation CD to do this, although I note from the CD that it’s compatible with Windows up to the XP version and not beyond; however, I have been running my Quicken program successfully on Windows 7 (I can’t recall how such compatibility was achieved).

While I am totally reliant on the two USB Quicken drives to enter financial information, I do not consider this is the safest position to be in.

I would be pleased to receive advice on possible solutions to my problem.

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,416 Community Manager Community Manager
    Options

Hi @Tigervin

What is happening specifically when you attempt to open the file directly from a local destination on your PC? ie. are you encountering any error messages and if so, what are they?

Is the file name less than 8 characters in length?

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,233 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert
    Options

I think you need someone to jump into your machine and set it up for you properly. Call me if you want.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. +61 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

Email: gwinter0808@gmail.com

• Tigervin
    Options

Thanks, Rav and Gerry for your prompt responses.

First, Rav

When I attempt simply to open the file on the C: drive without the USB drives being attached to the computer, I get a Quicken message: "Please insert a disc in the drive", which I do, without success. I still have to open the file on the USB drive to record entries and then I back-up to the C: drive file.

The file has 18 characters (before the extensions) but this has never been a problem when opening the "live" file.

Second, Gerry

I would be pleased to contact you on Friday, 10 June, if this would be convenient for you. I realise the program has an intricate structure that I have been loathe to venture into.

Tigervin

09/06

• Tigervin
    Options

Acknowledging today, Gerry rectified the problem without a hitch. Many thanks, Gerry.

Tigervin

15/06