Reinstallation of Quicken

Options

I use Quicken 2010 for my home bookkeeping, but recently I had a catastrophic failure of my HDD and lost all my programs and data, including Quicken 2010. I try to start the installation from DVD drive D:\Autorun.exe, but the application is blocked “for my protection” by the Administrator. I’ve tried every way to open it as an administrator it always failed. I had presumed if I had the original disks, I would be able to restore the system if I it was lost on my HDD but for some reason it won't run.

I appreciate the Australia version of Quicken is no longer available and may not be supported, but presumably this not a unique situation and some fix is available.

Please help.

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,427 Community Manager Community Manager
    Options

Hi @JohnOz1

If my assumption is correct in terms of the message you're getting on-screen that'll be a Windows-generated message rather than coming from the software.

I did a bit of searching and there are a number of articles discussing that 'app blocked' message and how to get around it. I'll link a couple below -

Note: The above links and info are external and not from Reckon so your own discretion is advised.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• JohnOz1
    JohnOz1 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Thanks Rav. The first fix did not work and I'm trying the second but having difficulty finding GPEDIT.msc in the Window system (I've tried multiple ways). I've now gone back to the guys that unscrambled my HDD and asked where it maybe. They assure me when they fixed the computer they reset and reinstalled Window with all original programs and settings. I'm awaiting too hear back from them. I do hope it resolves my problem. Watch this space!!

• JohnOz1
    Options

Okay, eventually able to get GPEDIT.msc operating and DISABLE the "Admin Approval Mode". Following restarting the computer the installation proceeded and I provided the original Installation Key. when requested The program then sought to verify the Key via the internet but the following message was shown: “Could not connect to the licensing server. The server name or address could not be resolved.”. The internet connection was working. 

It may be that the embedded server details are out of date. How do I proceed to have my installation verified?

Hoping you can help.

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,427 Community Manager Community Manager
    Options

Yes its unlikely that you'll be able to activate that older version using that method. However if you jump over to our product activation page linked below and initiate an online chat one of the team members may be able to assist with your activation -

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• JohnOz1
    Options

God bless you Reckon! After following the instruction and calling a representative and providing all of the answers in respect of identification, ownership of the software and product key I was provided with a new licence key and the software opened. I picked up a recent data backup and I'm back in business. Took some time, but the Reckon representative was patient and I got there in the end.

Thanks again for your help..

• Rav
    Options

Excellent to hear, glad to hear you're back on track 👍

• JohnOz1
    Options

Thank you. Very relieved!!!