multiple companies - cant activate multiple app subscriptions

Options
Belindaluxe
Belindaluxe Member Posts: 4
edited January 3 in Reckon Payroll 🚀

Hi,

I have two companies and two STP profiles. I need to subscribe via the app to continue to use the second company however when I go to subscribe on my phone it says I already have a subscription. I can't use the second company profile as it needs a new subscription. Any ideas on how I can overcome this?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• swakhlu01 .
    swakhlu01 . Member Posts: 482 Payroll App Expert Payroll App Expert
    Options

@Belindaluxe Reckon Payroll app expects a unique email ID for a subscription. So if the email ID is already used for a subscription than you will have to register the other company using a different email ID. I am guessing this is the issue you may be experiencing.

• Belindaluxe
    Options

Thanks for your quick response swakhlu01 I'm actually using a separate email and logged into the app under that id so unfortunately that is not this issue. I'm wondering if it could relate to GooglePlay which is overriding my request to have multiple subscriptions.

• swakhlu01 .
    swakhlu01 . Member Posts: 482 Payroll App Expert Payroll App Expert
    Options

@Belindaluxe I would suggest log into the web payroll on your laptop to check if you can access both your accounts.

payroll.reckon.com/login

My guess is in the Payroll app on your mobile device, you should log out of the one account, swipe off the app from the phone and then log again with the other account id.

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,392 Community Manager Community Manager
    Options

Hi @Belindaluxe

From what you've described in your opening post it sounds like you're trying to subscribe to the premium plan for the second company under the same Google Play account. Unfortunately, Google Play (and the Apple App Store) can only support one paid/premium subscription per Google Play/App Store account which is a bit of an annoying limitation.

You can have as many Payroll App accounts as you wish however only one paid subscription per Google Play account. In order to switch the second company on to the premium plan you'd need to sign into a different Google Play account on your device.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Belindaluxe
    Options

Hi Rav,

I created a new Google Play account and whilst logged in with that tried to upgrade my subscription but it is still telling me I already have a subscription. I spoke to the Customer Support number but they were no help either. They just said it should work. They've referred it to development but I'm not hopefully I will get an answer. Do you have any other suggestions?

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,392 Community Manager Community Manager
    Options

Hi @Belindaluxe

Just to confirm, you are logged into that new Google account in your phone's account settings, correct? Is that the only Google account showing in the Account section in the Settings menu?

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Belindaluxe
    Options

Hi Rav, You can only access settings from each account - you can't be in two accounts at once, and when I go into the settings of Luxe it says I have no subscriptions.

• hintonjlc
    hintonjlc Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi Rav,

Just picking up this old thread, I'm having the same problem (but on an iPhone).

I have 2 Payroll App accounts, ea with unique email addresses. I have upgraded 1 to premium but can't do the other, as I can't add a second subscription to my Apple account. I checked if I could upgrade via the Reckon web portal, but that is twice the price (no 50% discount). Given that the Basic plan is expiring and everyone needs to upgrade their accounts to Premium for STP2, this is a major roadblock. :( Thanks

• Rav
    Options

Hi @hintonjlc

The Apple App Store (& Google Play for that matter) will only support one paid subscription for the same app in the respective Apple/Google Play account.

If you have a second Payroll App account that you need to upgrade to premium it will be need to done under a separate Apple account from the first one you've already actioned.

I checked if I could upgrade via the Reckon web portal, but that is twice the price (no 50% discount).

Unfortunately you cannot subscribe to the premium plan via Payroll Web at this stage as the upgrade & payment need to go through the respective app store.

• matthew_james
    matthew_james Member Posts: 3
    Options

Rav - this is a significant issue and a poor (and strange) decision from Reckon. By setting this up as a subscription service through the app stores so many things break.

There is the example above. Then there is a more fundamental example - most people have personal Apple / Google ids and associated subscriptions but Reckon is fundamentally a business service. By setting up payment as a subscription people simply cannot set this up as a genuine business expense as there is no way to direct different subscriptions to different payment methods.

So (basically) I can either have personal subscriptions like Spotify charged to the business credit card incorrectly, or one of my employees has to raise an expense claim every month for the Reckon subscription. Simply doesn't make sense and is in no way a professional way of running a business.

Yes - this is an App Store limitation but the decision to set it up as a subscription is Rekon's and it is a bad decision.

Unless I am missing something and there is a different way to pay for this service ? (although I've been told by support that there is not other way)

• Rav
    Options

@matthew_james

I'm by no means an expert on this matter so take what I say with a grain of salt but from what I understand there are a myriad of rules that are enforced when it comes to having an app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store, specifically when it comes to subscriptions/in-app purchases.

Simply put, in order for the app to be available to users to download from either app store, we have include to include the ability for in-app purchases and that obviously needs to go through that specific app store provider. There is no ability or capacity for us to have a checkout or payment gateway in between the app store and the app itself.

Our dev teams have already put in a truckload of development work on a number of things in order to comply with various app store rules, some of which, change very rapidly.

I understand the points you've made, and we'd love to have more options in this area however we are very limited on what we can do.

• matthew_james
    Options

That’s is all simply not true. Reckon has chosen to implement this as an in app purchase - which puts you in this position

There are tens of thousands of services available through a proper commercial arrangement that provide a mobile app for their services. I’m sure you’ve heard of companies like Microsoft, Salesforce and Atlassian. I assure you they don’t use in app purchases for their services.

• donnarip
    donnarip Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi Rav

I am having the same problem as hintonjlc above. I have upgraded one of my company's accounts to the Premium payroll app but when I try to upgrade the second Playstore tells me I am already subscribed. I have tried to do the update when signed in to Playstore under a different google account which has a different email address and different payment details but the Payroll App doesn't seem to recognise that I have changed Playstore accounts and says I am subscribed already, even though when I click on Manage Subscriptions it goes to a blank screen. I feel that this is a bug in the Payroll app itself as it refuses to allow me to subscribe under a different Playstore account. Please help as I really want to take advantage of the discount offer before 31st March.

• hintonjlc
    hintonjlc Member Posts: 4
    Options

FWIW I got around the issue by upgrading the second company's Reckon Payroll account to Premium on my partner's phone. The app was installed on her device under her AppleID, and signed-into using the "second" email address that we use for the company2 Reckon account. She then did the Premium upgrade in-app for the discount.

After upgrading, I went back to my device and signed into company 2 & it was now also Premium. So I can now access both companies at Premium level on the same device as originally intended.

Pity that getting there is so clunky.

• matthew_james
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hi Rav - FYI, have your team talk to Spotify about how it's very possible to set up subscriptions outside the App Store and then publish a free app that uses that service. That's if Microsoft etc aren't good enough examples of how to do this.

Or does Reckon just like paying 30% of your subscription fees to Apple ... ?

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1411658486319630