How do I get authentication code as a shared user

Options
Burnbaby
Burnbaby Member Posts: 27
edited November 2022 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)

So I have been given access as a Shared User for STP reporting. I have downloaded Chrome Authenticator onto my computer. I get to the spot where it asks me for my 6 digit pin and then I get stuck. I click on the authenticator and no code shows up?

The Authenticator says "no accounts to display". Do I have to set up my own MFA and select the Authenticator myself so it links?

Do I have to link the Chrome Authenticator to Reckon somehow so it knows what I want the code for?

HELP! Can someone explain this in plain English for me please?

Answers

• Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,293 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert
    Options

I am under the impression that only one user can link to STP, I don’t use Chrome authenticator though, I use my phone number, so there may be different criteria when using the app. I’m sure someone else will be able to advise you better

• Burnbaby
    Options

Thanks Kris Williams, I am wrong in thinking you can share STP reporting capabilities?

• Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,293 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert
    Options

Yes I believe you are - you can share the file in STP but you can’t lodge STP Files without a code, so from memory I believe you need to create a Gov Connect account using your own details and then the file is shared with you. That way you can use your phone number to receive a code for access.

But I’ll stand corrected if someone else has anything better to suggest

• Burnbaby
    Options

But I don't want to get the code on my phone in case I am away on leave, that is the current problem we have, when the Admin person is on leave nobody else can lodge the STP. We need to be able to do this from several computers.

• Kris_Williams
    Options

I also have a similar issue, I don’t think the chrome authenticator is any different, it still is on the phone. I have lodged the STP late if not available for a week or two

• Burnbaby
    Options

There has to be a way around this surely other people In offices share the same issue? Hopefully we can both get some answers from someone? Anyone?

• Kris_Williams
    Options

I can do it because I created a My Gov account of my own and then the shared files show up there and as I have used my own credentials am able to lodge STP files using my phone number

• Kris_Williams
    Options

It is possible to change the phone number if the need to delegate to someone else temporarily occurs

• Burnbaby
    Options

We don't want to use any phone numbers, we just want the code to flash up on the computer

• Kris_Williams
    Options

Well I’m afraid I don’t know how to do that

• Burnbaby
    Options

Appreciate your help Kris, hopefully someone else would have come across this issue ?

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,389 Community Manager Community Manager
    Options

Hi @Burnbaby

I'd recommend taking a look at the guide I've linked below as it outlines the step by step process on using a browser-based authenticator app for your MFA.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Kris_Williams
    Options

Thanks Rav I will read up on that process too for my own information

• Burnbaby
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi Rav, I have installed the app and have the Authenticator in the corner of my browser. I log into ReckonGov Connect but it does not ask me to "Enable MFA".

Have I missed something in the process?

I click on the Authenticator Icon and it shows me this?

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,389 Community Manager Community Manager
    Options

@Burnbaby

What is it asking for on-screen after you click 'Reckon GovConnect'?

Does a screen like the below appear?

Or are you being asked to enter an MFA code? If so, then MFA has already been setup on your account.

Has this STP entity been shared with you as per the process you've pictured in your screenshot here OR have you been added as a Staff member to the owner's Portal account? (They are two distinctly different things).

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Burnbaby
    edited November 2022
    Options

No, its asking for my MFA code - the 6 digit number.

Yes it has been shared with me by the main Admin person but I think they also added me as a staff member to the Portal Account?

I'm extremely confused, been trying to figure this out for the last 6 hours :>

• Rav
    Options

Yes to me, it sounds as though they've added you as a user (aka staff member) of their own portal account hence why you are being asked to enter MFA rather than set it up.

You can confirm this if you take a look at the top left corner and you see a dropdown that allows you to switch between accounts like the example screenshot to the left.

To make things simpler and easier for you, I'd recommend that you get the admin to remove you from the Staff member access by going to Accounts ➡ Staff ➡ select 'Remove' next to your name on the list.

Once that is done, the next time you login you will only have access to your own account and it'll take you through normal setup.

• Burnbaby
    Options

Thanks Rav, will try that next week, have had enough for today! Think I need a drink!

• Burnbaby
    Options

Still not working Rav.........it shouldn't be this hard!

• Kris_Williams
    Options

@Rav - if I use the phone now to get my MFA code, can I still use the above process as well, or is it one or another? I don’t always use the same computer

• Rav
    Options

Sorry guys, I've been pretty crook the last few days and have been out of the office so just catching up on everything.

@Burnbaby If you're still having trouble with this at the moment I'd recommend that you give our technical support team a call on 1300 756 663 and we'll take a closer look into how you or your admin have set your account up. I agree, it shouldn't be hard and usually it isn't so we'll need to see why it isn't working out for you.

@Kris_Williams it'll be one or the other I'm afraid. You can only have one source of MFA active at any one time. SMS is the method we recommend as it provides more flexibility whereas the browser-based authenticator method is locked down to the one specific browser only.