Big mistake correction

dingo
dingo Member Posts: 4 Novice Member Novice Member

hi all.

I am in a big dilema. Feeling sick over dilema.

We had a business which has only operated for minimally for the last 2 year. I had bookeepers looking after the books prior to our “retirement” date. Because books are now minimal, i’ve been doing them. The business account was reconciled up to June 30 this year no problem.

My accountant tells me there is an account in reckon that hasnt been reconciled for about 6 years which came as a shock to me. It was the business savings account.

Stupid me decided i could reconcile it which i did, but somehow i managed to delete transactions on the other file, thinking they were in the wrong account.

So i have thrown out all the books which have previously balanced. This was a big company and i think i have deleted some transactions that i will never be able to find as i cant even figure how many years back i deleted files in error.

Is there any way i can revert my file back to a previous day therefore undoing everything i touched.

From what I can see there is no back up file.

I am beyond inconsolable about what i have done and wished i’d never gone near it.

I just want to crawl under a rock and never resurface.

Comments

• Alexis McKeown
    Alexis McKeown Reckon Staff Posts: 368 Reckon Staff

Dear @dingo ,

I'm very sorry to hear about this situation.

In this case, if a backup is not present - including no backups from when you may have upgraded to 2024 - then there would be only one real option.

You could check the Audit Trail and see which transactions were deleted, when they were deleted, what they contained, and possibly re-enter these transactions back into the file manually.

To get the Audit Trail:

1. Go to Reports.
    2. Go to Accountant.
    3. Select Audit Trail.

From here, you should be able to review transactions that were deleted from the file recently, and re-enter them back into the file.

Outside of this, I would recommend re-checking your B:\ drive to see if there's any backups of this file recently - even older backups may give you a file to compare against.

Kind regards,

Alexis McKeown

Reckon Senior Technical Support

• dingo

thank you Alexis. Much appreciated.

I have found a back up file which i did after the last reconcilation when everything was good.

I’m too scared to use the back up in case i do something wrong with it too.

I do have a friend that works with reckon. Maybe I should try and get them to restore it?

• dingo

i remember struggling trying to do a back up but it looks like i did one april 4th as well as july 5th

• Alexis McKeown
    Alexis McKeown Reckon Staff Posts: 368 Reckon Staff

Dear @dingo ,

It's never a problem at all. I'm relieved you were able to find a backup from before this occurred.

It may be wisest to reach out to them, or to a Professional/Accredited partner.

They are experts at using Reckon, including accounting and bookkeeping.

You can reach out to a partner via https://partnersearch.reckon.com/ .

Kind regards,

Alexis McKeown

Reckon Senior Technical Support

• dingo

thank you very much Alexis! I definately will!

• GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,342 Personal Range Elite Expert Personal Range Expert

If you need a hand drop me a line and i will sort it for you.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

Email: gwinter0808@gmail.com