Printer is not activated error code 20 after upgrade to Windows 10

2»

Comments

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Andrew - that is worthwhile knowing about the ease of roll-back. Too late for me thought, but all of my issues with Windows 10 (both Hosted and Desktop) now have a satisfactory work-around, even though it did take some time for this to happen.  John L G
  • Alena Bow_7906514
    Alena Bow_7906514 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2015
    Thanks Rosemary, you have had the best solution that works and it is easy at least now I can email and it is so simple, thankyou
  • FreeMovies www.sp4rk.net
    FreeMovies www.sp4rk.net Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2015
    Interested to know what Browser  you were using to email invoices? I am getting the error code 20 also after upgrading my computer to Windows 10 and can't email reports/invoices.
    Betty
  • Rosemary Wall
    Rosemary Wall Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2015
    Hi Betty - all these problems started when we all upgraded to Windows 10. My best and easiest work around for all these problems is to choose the printer choice Microsoft Print to PDF which allows me to save the file as PDF and then just email it as an attachment to my client - this also allows you to email from Quickbooks when you do not have Outlook Express as your default email (Reckon does not recognise any other email program so you cannot email directly from the program if you are running Live Mail for example). Hope this all helps you.
  • Helen McKenzie
    Helen McKenzie Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2015
    Hi Rosemary, I tried changing the printer choice to Microsoft print to pdf, when emailing payslips it didnt offer the -save the file as pdf option it just went to  error 20.
  • John Graetz
    edited December 2016
    Hi Helen
    You don't mention which program you are using.  Here is what you could do if you have the desktop version, rather than Hosted.
    I had this problem and solved it quite simply in the end, providing you are using Outlook.  If you are, then don't use the Reckon start icon from your programs list or task bar, as that still remains a problem.  Instead, you should find an icon on your actual desktop instead.  Then, right click on the icon and choose "Run as Administrator", which will then start the program for you.  When I did this, I had instant success, with Outlook as my default program, which must be open before you attempt to email the pay slips.  I don't have the same problem with Hosted.
    John L G
  • Helen McKenzie
    edited December 2015
    i tried this and it worked for me, thanks

• John Graetz
    edited December 2016
    Excellent Helen.  We like good news - thanks for responding.  John L G
  • GeoffK
    GeoffK Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2016

I have just upgraded my PC to windows 10 and have been having the same issues with not being able to email invoices direct from Reckon Accounts Small Business 2014.

I have been playing with this for the last few days and believe that I have solved my emailing problem

1. Installed Outlook 2010 and set it as default email (it does not work with the new Mail that is bundled with Win 10)

2. Logged in as Administrator

when testing I was right clicking on QBW32 application file in Intuit > Reckon Accounts 2014

After several successful goes, pinned QBW32 to Start. When you go to start you need to right click and select Run as Administrator

If you set QBW32 to Administrator using the properties menu Reckon Accounts locks and does not open

It is actually emailing the invoices smoother and quicker that it does using Win 8.1

Hope this is of help

GeoffK

• Helen McKenzie
    edited January 2016
    Thanks Geoff, have done it and all is good now. Are you finding that when you email payslips , not all the names are not presented to email, even though they've been ticked and have correct date range in the select to email window? Because this is what is happening to me since .
  • Helen McKenzie
    edited January 2016
    Thanks Geoff, have done it and all is good now. Are you finding that when you email payslips , not all the names are presented to email, even though they've been ticked and have correct date range in the select to email window? Because this is what is happening to me since .
  • GeoffK
    GeoffK Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2016

Helen,

I have not used the print payslips feature

Geoff

• Andrea Harris
    Andrea Harris Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2016
    Thank you John! That was a big help! So, every time I enter QuickBooks or Word, etc. I have to open my programs by right clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator" for my preferred printers to work? If so, I hope that there is a fix coming soon.
  • John Graetz
    edited December 2016
    Hi Andrea. From what we know it seems that the fix will be in the new release, probably around next March. In case I forget what to do, I deleted my short cuts icons so that I have to use the one on my desktop. John L G
  • Zari
    Zari Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2016
    Did any other Members update the programme Small Business Edition 2015,and had  Windows 10 on their computer. Only to find out it was not compatible, so reinstall old verison. And ever since I have been having huge issues with sending out PDF files, clients are receiving emails without pdf's attached, but when I check my sent folder they are there. I have had no joy with suggestions from Reckon support. As I keep telling them was working fine prior to this and no clients have changed anything and were receiving them fine before I tried to update the programme!!! Any help would be great appreciated. I am frustrated and run out of options. Paying for a programme that is not working efficiently is worse than frustrating.

• Zari
    Zari Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2016
    Did any other Members update the programme Small Business Edition 2015,and had  Windows 10 on their computer. Only to find out it was not compatible, so reinstall old verison. And ever since I have been having huge issues with sending out PDF files, clients are receiving emails without pdf's attached, but when I check my sent folder they are there. I have had no joy with suggestions from Reckon support. As I keep telling them was working fine prior to this and no clients have changed anything and were receiving them fine before I tried to update the programme!!! Any help would be great appreciated. I am frustrated and run out of options. Paying for a programme that is not working efficiently is worse than frustrating.
  • Nigel Soakell
    Nigel Soakell Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2016
    You could try using System Restore in Windows to see if you have a restore point prior to you upgrading to the Small Business Edition, if so then you could try doing a system restore to that point in time which should put you back to the old version of Reckon. Note it will also undo any other program updates and installs that you have done but should not affect any of your data. I'd recommend that you still do a backup prior to the system restore and also Create a Restore point of your current point in time. If you are not sure how to use system restore just Google for instructions.
  • Richard_7991060
    Richard_7991060 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2020
    Hi There. I updated to W10 and have had endless problems with reckon accounts. No emailing of anything, payslips, invoices. Have followed the advice listed here and it works, sometimes, actually less than 50% of the time. Other times it just crashes and i have to restart the whole computer. There has been no support from Reckon on this apart from some work arounds that barely work. If some proper support is not forthcoming soon than i will need a refund from Reckon for the 6 months i won't or can't use this system and will be going elsewhere for my bookeeping.
    Richard
  • John Graetz
    edited December 2016
    Hi Richard.  If you read my post earlier on in this long string, you will find that I was successful in using the desktop version of RA using Windows 10 by taking the following steps:
    1.  Find the Reckon Accounts icon on your desktop.  Do not use any of the ones that might be in your system tray etc,
    2  Right click on that icon and select "Run as Administrator" to start the program.
    I have not had any problems since. It is important though that you have Outlook open before you attempt to do any emailing. 
    To avoid starting from the wrong icon, I deleted the ones in my system tray.  This then forces me to have to go to the desktop.  I have successfully used this approach on 2 computers running Windows 10.
    It has been stated that the 2016 versions should issue in another 2-3 months when hopefully all of these problems should be a thing of the past.
    Unfortunately it is probably fair to say that everybody who went to Windows 10 was hopeful the Reckon Accounts would still work flawlessly, but alas, that was not the case.
    John L G
  • Jason Hollis
    Jason Hollis Alumni Posts: 516 Reckon Staff
    edited September 2020
    Obviously there is quite a bit of frustration around this topic from both ends, so hopefully I can shed some light.

Background:
    • The Windows 10 OS was only in tech preview when we launched RA2015. In any launch cycle we finish the coding months before release, so we actually had no working build of Windows 10 through most of our dev cycle.
    • QA was completed on the release we had available at the time and there were no substantial issues that popped up which were widespread. As many windows users have experienced since upgrading, what is an issue for one person is not for another. ** I personally had to roll back a PC because one application was not opening correctly, and my network card driver failed even though the manufacturer had released a Windows 10 update.
    • We have released yearly updates for many years. This is nothing new. With newer technologies (Reckon One for example) we have been able to keep to a pretty tight 2-3 week update cycle (some front end, some back end, some both). This is simply not possible with desktop software.

User feedback also tells us that our customers do not want to install update patches every month or indeed every 3 months on their desktop or server environments. Some undoubtedly would, but most would not. That being said we are still investigating how we might be able to release non-database reliant updates in the future for issues that are a high percentage of our help desk calls.
    Further to some of the excellent advice on this topic already posted I can advise that I was also not able to email from Reckon Premier 2015, Outlook 2010 and Windows 10. 

The fix? Not only did I need to run RA2015 as Admin but I also had to run Outlook as Admin. Note: The email send preferences within Reckon Accounts also have a bearing on the results you achieve. 

I have included videos to show the error as originally experienced by Lou and how I was able to overcome it. Hopefully this will assist.
    1. Running RA2015 as Administrator (email send preferences set to NOT display each email when sending). See HERE

Note when trying to display each email when sending... this method may still fail. See video 2.

2. Running BOTH RA2015 and Outlook 2010 as Administrator (email send preferences set to display each email when sending). See HERE
    Whilst I acknowledge this is not a 'fix' we are working on a permanent solution now that we have a stable public build of Windows 10. Further to this we are hoping to release a new email send method in the 2016 version. We ultimately want to be able to overcome technical issues experienced by integrations with other software vendors, and also give the user options to send from methods other than Outlook.

** As issues can vary from user to user, and system to system, please contact our tech support if you are continuing to have email send problems, and please ask for an escalation if you do not receive a satisfactory resolution.

Kind regards,
    Jason Hollis
  • Steve Cook
    Steve Cook Member Posts: 150 ✭✭
    edited January 2016

Thanks Jason.
    Please also test with MS Office 2016. Especially Outlook 2016
    See this thread:

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/reckon-accounts-and-outlook-2016

• Jason Hollis
    edited December 2016
    I'll see if I can sneak an upgrade through on my expenses Steve :)

I'll also pass the noted thread update re attachments through to the QA lead as well as the RA product owner.

Regards,
    Jason
  • Jamie N Nicole Moresco
    Jamie N Nicole Moresco Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2016
    Hi Jason, I've had major issues after upgrading to W10. Wish I hadn't now. I haven't been able to Post/Transfer daily transactions since upgrading. Now that I have sold my business and my support is due I cant afford to purchase support for help. Hopefully you have a solution.
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited December 2016
    Hi Jamie,
    Might be best to pop this question in a new thread so we can discuss it specifically there.

From the sounds of it you're referring to POS, is that correct?

Which version are you using?
    Do you encounter any error messages (or anything else) during the process?

Cheers
    Rav

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Jason Hollis
    edited December 2016
    Hi Andrew,

I do not wish to turn this into a Q&A piece as the thread has already been contaminated. You can talk to us directly as you have done in the past if need be, however to clarify for future readers:

While still VERY beta, it [windows 10] would have given Reckon some signs of the troubles coming.

And this is what was done. We have thousands and thousands of users. We have not seen a high '%' of users with issues. However, the QA team are aware of issues with Win 10 and also latest Outlook versions and I am sure they will make this a priority this year.

Make them [update patches] optional?

That goes without saying and is what we are investigating. 

Its funny, chrome can update users machines every 6 weeks without problems or user interactions

Chrome is a completely different architecture to Reckon Accounts. User and partner feedback has sent us a strong message that we should not push updates onto users. As above, we are reviewing optional updates, but again many aspects come into play such as third-party add-ons, multi-user sites and so on. Please remember a high percentage of users are not as technically savvy as yourself, and indeed many wait until the tax patch so they only need to do one update per year.

Yet many years ago Reckon use to release patches a few times a year to address bugs and issues for 'free'

That is unfortunately factually incorrect. The only recent year we released multiple patches was 2008 when we moved to a new GUI and SQL database. This version encountered quite a few issues including one that effected the DB.

Multi-currency was also not in the original release so was included as a patch around 6 months later. This (08/09) release was the exception, not the rule. In recent releases we have released the database update and the tax patch in late June.

Hopefully that exhausts this discussion. I have done my best to explain our position. We have taken the feedback on board (most definitely) and hope to answer many concerns with the 2016 product release.

Until then, please offer addition commentary that is not related to assisting the original query in this thread by contacting us directly or starting another thread.

Thank you,
    Jason