Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2016 no longer downloading currency rates

13»

Comments

• gazza73gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 1,433 ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Margaret (only).   

Can you do a CURRENCY LIST screen, and do a single Currency UPDATE only, by itself?      

Gary
  • Margaret KotcharianMargaret Kotcharian Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2017
    When I do a single currency update from the currency list screen, it does not update any currencies at all, only the share prices, even though I changed the settings to currency updates and un-ticked stock updates.
    edited December 2016
    Margaret

At this point, I feel you may need to look at his more from an IT Support viewpoint, looking at things like windows firewall, or other anti-malware firewall/blocking settings that may exist on your machine.   It  seems we;re collectively explored most of the sideline tricks to force the request for 'just' currency updates to occur, and they are not forthcoming from the 'SERVICE'.    Let us know what brands of anti-malware (virus, spyware, adware, etc etc) that you have running on your machine,  and have an IT person carefully explore retesting your currency updates with such tools momentarily disabled (not for long - say 5 minutes) to avoid other protection issues occurring - to isolate anything like THAT being the possible reason here.

Gary

• David HDavid H Member Posts: 25
    edited July 2016
    Gary,

I checked the currency download with the updated qwutil.dll and with the old qwutil.dll and it worked with both after the TLS update I made.

Margaret, what happens if you open the link http://redirect.reckon.com.au/reckonaccounts_2013_au/currencydownloading in Internet Explorer? Do you see a dialog Opening currency.txt asking you to save the file or open it with a program? I see this:

If I click Open with Notepad, Notepad opens with a file for which the first few lines are:

Reckon Accounts Currency Update File As At 08:00PM on July 14, 2016 (UTC) - Base Currency GBP
    ""
    "DZD", "0.00679381"
    "NAD", "0.05255289"
    "GHS", "0.18972914"
    "EGP", "0.08442761"
    "BGN", "0.42617730"

If you see that, then your browser is able to download the file. Mine couldn't until I made the TLS changes.

If you can't see that, then it's possible that you have another problem, for example a firewall issue. If you have access to another computer at the same site, try opening that same link on the other computer, too.

regards - David
    edited December 2016
    I tried this and the file opened with the files as above, so I guess my browser is able to download the file.
    edited July 2016
    Margaret,

Could you please exit PP2016 and locate your QUICKEN.INI file?

You will probably have at least two QUICKEN.INI files. One will be in C:\windows; you don't want that file. If you're running Windows7, the file you want will probably be in C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken.

Make a copy of that file.

Open QUICKEN.INI in Notepad and search for the section starting with
    [Internet]

In that section, do you have a line starting with CurrencyRateDownload2005 that might look like this:
    CurrencyRateDownload2005=http://ps.intuitcanada.com/quickbooks/cratedownload/index.php?c=GBP

If you do, delete just that line, save the file, restart PP2016 and then try the currency download again.

regards - David
    edited December 2016
    I have just installed the 2017 upgrade and the currency updates still do not load.  I tried your suggestion above, but it stopped all updates including share prices, so had to revert to original which then allowed share price updates, but still no currency.
  • John GJohn G Reckon Staff Posts: 2,283 ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hi Margaret,

Try these steps:
    1. Go to Tools > Currency List
    2. In the Home column, make sure the tick is on Australian Dollar
    3. Click on Update Rates
    Have the exchange rates updated?

regards,
    John.

edited December 2016

Hi John,

No the exchange rates still do not update. I have not been able to update them since November 2015 when the original problem occurred.

edited February 2017
    Thanks Margaret,

Please do a test.
    Create a new datafile and update the currency.  Does it work?

regards,
    John.
    edited December 2016
    Have done this test and it did not work.
    edited February 2017
    Hi Margaret,  

How does the latest attempt to update the currency list compare to mine:

(these rates update at 9pm daily)

regards,
    John
    edited February 2017
    Margaret/John.

Have we got the SPECs of Margaret's operating system and anti virus and firewall status.   The tips in this article from 5 months ago and 6 months ago were never supplied by Margaret.  Also,  we had that one other incidence of 'Chris' storing data files in a privileged program area that created mischief - but we need to know the O/S.

Gary
    edited December 2016

I am using Windows 7, PP 2017, Internet Explorer 11.  Antivirus program is Trend Micro Maximum Security 2017.

Regarding John's currency list, mine has not updated since November 2015, no matter what I do.

edited February 2017
    Thanks Margaret,

Few more things to try....

Disable Trend Micro - does the Currency List Update?
    Turn Trend Micro back on.

If Updated, then the problem is Trend Micro blocking Reckon Accounts.  Make Reckon Accounts (qw.exe) an exception in Trend Micro.

If not, turn off your firewall and do the same test.
    Turn your firewall back on. 

If Currency List does not update, open the Sample file - File > Open Sample File
    Tools > Currency List - check the value of a currency: eg AUD 0.70067
    click on Update Rates and download currencies only.  
    Has the currency value changed? eg: 0.74558 (latest value)
    Do you have the line: "Currency exchange rates last updated on (today's date and time)"?

If the Sample file test was successful, create a backup (*.rkn) of your datafile and restore it to the Sample file directory:  C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Sample\
    Open it from the Sample file directory and run One Step Update - did the currency list update?

If it did, then there is a permission issue with the directory your datafile is stored.  

If the currency list still does not update then clean uninstall and re-install your Reckon Accounts.  A full guide is available here.

regards,
    John

• John CampbellJohn Campbell Member Posts: 238
    edited December 2016

John,

What about remote log-in ?

Or don't we have any suitable diagnostics to check ?

edited February 2017
    Have tried all the above, none of which worked.  Looked at the clean uninstall, but not confident enough to tackle that.  Thanks anyway, I will just live without currency exchange updates which are not as important to me as the stock/share updates which do work.  It is just a pity that after so many years (20 yrs) of using Quicken/Reckon with no problems, I now have this issue which commenced in November 2015.
    edited December 2016
    Margaret - would you like to chat to me about this - I can call back from 0408994799 (VIC)
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Gary. My phone number is 07-55304638.
    edited February 2017
    John:

Margaret is running Win7HOME,   and over the phone we double checked a lot of things.   Ensured that all US and AUST stocks were in fact totally turned OFF, and just the exchange rates are being sought.

And for Margaret, using PP2017 (after an uninstall of 2016, installl 2017)  she still has a qwutil of 3532KB of July 2016 generation.

She's seeing this issue on the SAMPLE file, in the sample file location, and with Trend Data AV off or on.  She assures me there is no other software that may be causing a DNS blocking.    

JOHN:
    What would be useful here,  is to know the FQDN of the 'URL link' that is used either directly from the qw.exe or some dll thereof,  or via the server at Reckon (if double-hopped via Reckon) to ensure that URL can be pinged.   OR: if you or the dev team can assure us all, that the SOURCE of the exchange rate information comes from purely the link between the local EXE program on the user's laptop, and some SERVER that needs to be reached with Reckon Sydney.  If so, what is that URL, so we can suggest a traceroute or do a wireshark investigation into whether Margaret's laptop can actually traverse data to/from that source, and if not, why not.

Gary
  • Paul HaworthPaul Haworth Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2016
    I had this problem which was eventually solved by upgrading to Windows 10. 
    edited February 2017
    Hello Margaret, Gary.

Many thanks for your assistance Gary.

We are not getting any reports "beyond the normal" of currency update failures, so we must continue on the basis that the problem is local rather than system.

Next test is to switch the PC to Safe Mode with Networking.  
    If it updates then you need to look at Firewall, Antivirus, other security systems.

If not, first check any blocking on the Router and if that was nt the issue, do a clean un-install and re-install of Reckon Accounts.  Here's a guide.

You'll find the FQDNs used in downloads in the quicken.ini file in C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config.

Good luck in getting Margaret back on track.  

regards,
    John

edited March 2017
    Hi Margaret, Gary,

Don't know if it is relevant in your environment....

regards,

John
    edited December 2016
    edited March 2017
    FWIW, the URI Reckon actually uses for currency download is
    http://redirect.reckon.com.au/reckonaccounts_2013_au/currencydownloading

which redirects to 
    https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/rkn-currency-update-prod/currency.txt

Clicking on either link in Internet Explorer should download the file currency.txt. It will contain the latest currency rates relative to GBP. Reckon uses the first link, so try that.

If you can download that file, then you should be able to update currencies. It probably means that you need to comment out URI in quicken.ini.

AFAIK, Quicken/Reckon hasn't used the CurrencyRateDownload configuration item since introducing the CurrencyRateDownload2005 configuration item.

If you can download currency.txt by clicking on the first link above, comment out the CurrencyRateDownload2005 and CurrencyRateDownload items in quicken.ini and try the currency update again.

If you can't download currency.txt in Internet Explorer, try it in Firefox or Chrome. If you can download it in either of the latter, then you might have a problem with SSL vs TLS configuration. See my post in this topic from about 6 months ago for guidance re that.
This discussion has been closed.