Default Backup Location Reckon Accounts Premier 2018

Stephen_9932803
Stephen_9932803 Member Posts: 5
1.  I have five separate company files using Premier 2018.  When I backup four of them, they default to the last used default location, but not one of them.  Only since tax upgrade last year I think.

Frustrating to have to keep searching for the correct backup location. 

Any suggestions how to fix this annoying problem / why is it doing it / what have I missed?

Comments

• Robert Smeallie_9600650
    Robert Smeallie_9600650 Member Posts: 83
    edited January 2019
    Hi Stephen

Reckon Accounts Default Library location is C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files.

Kind Regards
    Robert Smeallie 
  • Stephen_9932803
    edited July 2020
    Thank you but I save in a different location. 

For all the companies, except one, Reckon Accounts will default to the last used backup location - but not for one of the companies.  (Four go to a OneDrive folder, but this company file keeps looking for a NAS Server location I used to use.)  Had a bit of time and spent ages trying to figure why it won't default to last backup location for this one company.

Thanks anyway for your reply.

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Stephen.  As part of the backup setup process, the second screen is Do you want to save your backup locally or online?.  Down near the bottom of this screen is an options button.  Click on that and you get the opportunity to designate the destination of the backup file - this also gives you the option to restrict the number of saved backups.
    John L G
  • Stephen_9932803
    edited January 2019
    Thanks John. Yes that is what I do and sometimes swap between two locations for extra security.  A NAS server and a OneDrive folder. (Not using Reckon Online backup).  The OneDrive appears faster but of course it holds the file on your hard drive whilst syncing to the cloud.

However when you enter a backup location, say a particular drive, it come up as the default next time. 

I am finding just one company file decides to keep defaulting to a drive I don't use anymore.  As I am backing up all these files quite a lot, it strikes me as odd and I was assuming that somethere there was a tick box or setting which I had missed.

Thanks again.

• Datarec_ReckonLtd
    Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,039 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2019
    Hi Stephen,

Normally each data file would remember where its last backup location was.

There is also a log file called *QBBackup.log* showing the backup sessions and locations.

C:\Users\<WindowsUserName>\AppData\Local\Intuit\Quickbooks\log

Are you creating QBB backups or QBM portable files?
    Are you manually creating the backups or are they scheduled?

Consider the following:

1) Locate the existing original data file that is not backing up to the same location as the other files

2) In the Reckon Account software create a QBM portable file

3) Click on File | Exit, then close the Reckon Accounts software

4) Locate the existing original data file and rename it by adding a suffix " - ORIGINAL" to the file name. Example: "File Name - ORIGINAL.QBW"

5) Restore the portable file to the same location as that original data file. This will mean you will have two copies of the file with slightly different names

6) Create a normal QBB backup file and set the destination to your preferred folder location

7) Once the backup is complete, perform the backup again and confirm whether it now goes to your preferred destination location

Regards,

Data Recovery Team
  • Stephen_9932803
    edited February 2019
    Thank you for taking the time to offer this solution.  Effectively rename the QBW file and hide it, in the hope that when restored and then backed up anew, the default path would be saved in one of those complex subdirectory paths.  Alas despite following instructions implicitly, it didn't work.  It led me to what I though could be a solution.

I have only been doing manual backups (every night on different portable media and on weekends taking home, restoring on a second PC, doing bookkeeping, then bring back to office on Monday).

Your solution prompted me to try setting a scheduled backup.  In that dialogue box there is an option button, which led to a page to specify the backup location for scheduled backups.  I thought by setting that once, then going back to manual backups, I would find my backups default to my preferred drive. Unfortunately doesn't work either.

I think I will try disconnecting from the location I don't want to default to, so it can't find the path at all, and see if I can force it into defaulting to something else.  As mentioned it occurs only for one of five different company files I have. 

Thanks for helping me try to solve this annoying little problem!  There will be a reason and I'm the sort of person that likes to work out why.
  • Datarec_ReckonLtd
    Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,039 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2019
    Hi Stephen,

When you have taken the backup home and then restoring it, do you then perform a newer backup which is stored on the portable media which you then take back to the office and then restore?

If you are backing up directly to the portable media or a network folder location consider creating a local folder on the computer which becomes the destination of all backups. Then manually or with some automation script, copy that local folder to the portable media.

It's an extra step, although it does provide a second copy of the backup.
    One on the local folder and another on the portable media.

Is the backup location designated as a mapped folder or drive letter?

Consider creating a mapped drive letter that references the folder location on the local computer hard drive. Then on any other computer also creating the same mapped drive letter.

Example:

on Computer 1, map the folder location C:\My Work Backups as the drive letter M:\

on Computer 2, map the folder location C:\My Home Backups as the drive letter M:\

Alternatively, you could also map the portable media folder as that drive letter M:\

In so doing, it would only remember the location as the drive letter M:\ regardless on which computer you are restoring from or backing up to.

If you do find a solution or additional insight, share with the community.

Regards,

Data Recovery Team

• Stephen_9932803
    edited February 2019
    Thank you.  Good suggestions for integrity of backups and reducing risk of error.  

I've just reached 20 years of backing up Quickbooks now Reckon Accounts.  Only a couple of times had restore issues.  Intermittently verify and rebuild.  Have a lot of copies - every night, different USBs plus offsite every weekend and keeping plenty of past backups just in case I need to roll back.

Probably making it harder now that I have started swapping between a RAID storage device at home mapped to a drive letter (an intermittent archive), plus using a OneDrive folder for quick and easy backup when I am doing lots of reconciliations or adjustments, as well as using take-home USB).

Thanks again for your support.