Accounts Premier 2015 won't start after successfull install, no error returned

Guy Mirabella
Guy Mirabella Member Posts: 6
edited April 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
After installing Accounts Premier 2015 on a Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit system, no errors were returned all seemed fine.  Executed for the first time which asked which system to configure (Manufacturing and Wholesale selected) and still seemed ok to this point.  Then when it finally tried to start to arrive at the main screen saw a very quick flash a s if the main screen started to load and then disappeared and the software was no longer active.  Any time I attempt to load the software again, the same effect is returned. This system is was installed to be the DB server and software client.   As a test, have tried to install into another similar PC in the same site which has worked fine. 

Have turned Firewall and Anti-Virus as a test but with no positive effect.  Obviously there is something installed on the PC which is interfering with the loading of the software.  Anyone have any experience with the software load procedures which may provide some clue?

Comments

• Datarec_ReckonLtd
    Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,039 Reckon Staff
    edited July 2019
    Hi Guy,

Can you try going into 'Selective Startup' mode and see if you are able to run the software successfully.

Run Windows in Selective Start Up mode

* Data Recovery Team *
  • Guy Mirabella
    edited May 2015
    Thank you for the suggestion but had already tried Selective Startup Mode and didn't make any difference.  Have even tried disabling all Microsoft services as well and still no good.
    I am thinking the problem isn't anything interfering but perhaps something missing from the install. I know the software requires DotNet 2.0 and 3.5 which are installed. I also notice the requirement for Flash (although the system requirements list doesn't specify it) as it installs Flash8a on systems without it but as my system already had Flash 17 installed, it didn't attempt to install v8.  I am wondering if there are any other 3rd party utilities or packages required that may be missing?
  • Kwikbooks (Professional Partner)
    Kwikbooks (Professional Partner) Member Posts: 824 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hi Guy

On the knowledge browser there is an install procedure, the best advice I can give is the issues i have had in the past, and it is best not to install after you have opened a reckon program (or any) first, I have always been advised to start or reboot, then do the install before anything else has been opened.  If you have started and installed already, may I suggest uninstalling Reckon, rebooting the computer then try  the install again.

Sometimes if I have more than one version of Reckon installed the different data base versions can play havoc and I have to go and stop all Quibooks DB from running, set them to auto then open the Reckon program I want  'right click computer> manage> services & applications> service" scroll down and stop all Quickbooks DB17, DB18, DBxx, set them to auto then try and open the program.

If this fails... Tech support... got to love tech support
  • Guy Mirabella
    edited July 2019
    There is only one version of the software installed.  Accounts Premier 2015 is the first version ever installed for the client (new Quickbooks client).  The DB manager installed is DB24.
    I will uninstall and start the process again paying particular attention to every step.

I will post my results if I find a solution.
  • Datarec_ReckonLtd
    edited December 2016
    Hi Guy,

If you can perform that installation whilst in Selective Start Up mode, that may help.
    * Data Recovery Team *
  • Guy Mirabella
    edited May 2015
    Have done as suggested and totally uninstalled again and restarted computer in selective mode with just the minimum windows requirements loading and then proceeded to performed installation again.  Result still the same - no success.  
    I have tried running procmon (process monitor) to log what happens when it loads and then compare it with a different PC which loads the software correctly.  I was hoping to see something jump out at me but a lot of data to go through and haven't been able to determine anything useful yet.
    Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Datarec_ReckonLtd
    edited December 2016
    Hi Guy, how about logging in as the default Windows Administrator user or performing the installation, whereby you launch the installer with 'Run as Administrator'.
    To run the installer with Administrator permissions, instead of double-clicking the Setup program icon, you must do the following:
    1. Right-click the program icon or Start Menu entry.
    2. Select "Run as Administrator"
    * Data Recovery Team *
  • Guy Mirabella
    edited July 2019
    Update - Issue has been resolved.

I ran a trace again to compare the load procedure of the PC with the problem and another similar PC that is working and found that during the startup, the software was trying to load a library file (addinmgr2.dll) which it couldn't find.  On checking the file, was in fact located in "C:\Program files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit\Quickbooks". Copied the file to the Intuit program folder which then allowed the software to load correctly.  There were some other minor issues like it couldn't run the registration script so obviously all wasn't right and the question remains  - why was the file not found in the folder it was installed into. 

Further investigation got to the root of the problem which was that many of the registry entries for the Reckon software (and there are many) did not have appropriate permissions.  Run a utility to change the owner and permissions which solved everything.

I still don't know how the permissions in the registry were  missing  but obviously during the first installation attempt, something went wrong with the registry update which didn't update the correct permissions and subsequent attempts to un-install or install would not allow to make changes to those entries in order to fix them.  Subsequently the software didn't have read rights to interrogate the registry entries causing it not t find the necessary data to load correctly.

Now all is OK but I won't go into the detail of how to fix it as it is something only an IT Professions would be able to do safely.  If anyone needs to know how to fix it, they would be welcome to contact me.
  • Datarec_ReckonLtd
    edited December 2016
    That's great new Guy.

Thank you for sharing your findings with the Community.

The following knowledge-base article may be relevant as it relate to performing a
    'clean uninstall / reinstall' and mentions registry keys and the common folders.

Performing a clean install or clean uninstall of Reckon Accounts Business

The freeware version of Revo Uninstaller may also be useful.

Revo Uninstaller - Freeware

* Data Recovery Team

• Guy Mirabella
    edited May 2015
    The links that you provided are useful but insufficient to remove all registry keys that relate to the Intuit software.  
    I tried the above suggestions originally but did not work and found that there are significantly more key entries installed in addition to those noted in the knowledge-base which are spread around other parts of the registry - including in the sections:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT,
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes,
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes.
    Many of the entry names start with "QB" but there are also many that are named differently.  There are 100's if not 1000's of entries.  
    It was very time consuming process to find all of them and to resolve my issue.

• Datarec_ReckonLtd
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for your further feedback Guy.

If other users are affected in a similar manner, the clean un-install steps may be enough to assist them if the situation that caused the previous failed installation on their computer is different to the one experienced in yours.

If it is the same or worse, then they may best be served getting your insight for additional guidance.

The freeware Revo Uninstaller may also be a handy resource.

* Data Recovery Team *