Installing trial version demands I delete old version first

I am trying to install Reckon Personal trial and it asks me to delete my Quicken 2013. I do not want to do that as I cannot reinstall it (cant find CD). Why can it not work with two versions installed at the same time?

Thanks

Comments

• GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,204 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert

it never has so you have to make that decision to eventually upgrade to the latest version. Call me as i can do a better price for the first year.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

Email: gwinter0808@gmail.com

• alix
    alix Member Posts: 6

I am not gong to delete my old version without first testing the new one. I have quite a few tests to carry out to ensure it does what i need.

• GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,204 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert

As far i know the newer version does everythingthat the older one did, what are some of the test you talkabout.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

• alix

main one is will it correctly import my q2013 data. will my reports be ok. does dde still work. and others

• GerryWinter

yes it will, what does dde mean?

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

• alix

DDE is Dynamic Data Exchange, it has been a part of windows since 3.1. It allows inter process communication between programs. It is mainly used by Excel to extract data from non-standard sources eg quicken. I use it extract and manipulate quicken data for reports that cannot be done by quicken.

I dislike the notion of reckon assuming that everything is rosy and will all work. I have been bitten by quicken upgrades before that caused a lot of angst and work. I want to see it all work to my satisfaction before I commit to it. I don't think that is at all unreasonable.

• GerryWinter

I have just had a look at mine and all reports can Export data to 'Excel Compatable Format' if that is what you are concerned about.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

• alix

No. I extract data from the quicken database and produce reports that quicken will not do, or is incapable of doing. I do use the export to excel option for some other, standard things.

• Datarec_ReckonLtd
    Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,039 Reckon Staff

Hi alix,

Recommend you install the trial in a different computer or virtual machine.

Then you can confirm whether DDE works as you expect.

If you are familiar with DDE, consider virtualising your existing PC or creating a new virtual PC with a fresh Windows that you can install the trial software on.

If the DDE works in your existing 2013 software, it would likely still work on the current version software.

• alix

Hi, sorry for the delay. Have got a new pc. Loaded up the trial version of latest reckon accounts and tried to import the old versions' backup.

Failed miserably with a message that the backup contained files that are no longer supported.

So much for backwards compatibility.

Am now happily using old version on new PC and will as long as it continues too work.

As far as I am concerned I am now looking for some new software that will do what I want.

• GerryWinter

Not sure why it didnt work, maybe give me a call and i can take a look.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"