Transfer my old business STP and GovConnect to my new business

Options
Khanh
Khanh Member Posts: 21

I use ReckonOne for multiple businesses. One of business (company) has just closed and new business (sole trader) has just started. Can I transfer my old business STP and GovConnect to my new business?

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,392 Community Manager Community Manager
    Options

Hi @Khanh Hoang

I'm assuming that the new sole trader business has a separate/different ABN to the previous business that has now closed and you're using a new Reckon One book for this new business, is that correct?

If so, you will need to create a new STP entity for the new ABN in GovConnect. If you have multiple Reckon One books within the same account you can also create additional STP entities in GovConnect for them.

I'll add a quick screen recording below that shows how to add a new STP entity within your existing account.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Khanh
    Options

Hi Rav, thank you for the instruction! Yes new sole trader business has different ABN. I am using the old Reckon One book to carry on for this new business as I have entered new pay roll data already, I just changed the ABN at the Book Settings, General details. Will it work and link to the new GovConnect?

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,392 Community Manager Community Manager
    Options

To be honest, its a better idea to use a separate book so that your data remains intact and separated.

Did you perform any employee terminations and STP finalisation for the former ABN prior to make changes in the existing book? ie. what did you do with the existing employee data?

The reason I ask is, there is potential for inconsistencies to creep in for employees when it comes to STP data and it will give you some headaches in trying to fix up later on.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Khanh
    edited October 2022
    Options

( please see below )

• Khanh
    edited October 2022
    Options

Thank you Rav! I haven't done the employee termination and STP finalization for the former ABN, which I should have done. Please give me instructions for this.

Because former ABN and new ABN is the same business going on, only changing the business entity, so I try to keep and maintain the same data in the existing book. If use separate book, it means I would have to de-active old book and subscribe new one? If so is there the way to export and import data from existing book? Otherwise it will time consuming to add the same data all over again!

Note that I have already created and registered Software ID with ATO for additional STP entities in GovConnect. 

• Rav
    Options

Hi @Khanh

Ultimately its up to you on how you'd like to manage it moving forward, however the recommendation I made on having a separate book will make things easier in the sense that data will be distinctly separate for each entity. Also, and more importantly, if you find yourself having to go back to make any changes or corrections to data that relates to the old ABN you're going to have a very hard time in doing so.

If use separate book, it means I would have to de-active old book and subscribe new one? If so is there the way to export and import data from existing book? Otherwise it will time consuming to add the same data all over again!

Yes a new book would mean that you start from scratch and would need to recreate the company info, employees etc. There is no export/import function that would do this for you unfortunately.

I'll link some info below on how to perform an end of financial year finalisation in Reckon One. This will finalise all employee pays under the ABN you listed in your Reckon One book. Please ensure that you haven't changed the ABN in the Reckon One book to the new ABN prior to performing this.

• Khanh
    Options

Thanks Rav!

I actually did the end of financial year finalisation in Reckon One.

So it seems that I have to de-active old book and subscribe new one then.

I guess the already registered Software ID for additional STP entities in GovConnect will work with new book has the matching ABN? 

• Rav
    Options

When you create the new Reckon One book you'll enter the ABN for the new business into it. It will then send STP submissions through the new STP entity you created for the new ABN in GovConnect.

• Khanh
    edited October 2022
    Options

Hi Rav! I've just subscribed the basic book but forgot to included the payroll! what should I do to include payroll to the new book? Hope that I don't have de-active and subscribe again.

• Rav
    Options

You can customise and add/change your modules from the book launch screen. There are some step by step instructions below -