termination

Options
lesley_9730541
lesley_9730541 Member Posts: 55 ✭

I have terminated an employee but when I try and send to ATO it is failing and coming up with the message -

object reference not set to an instance of an object.

What does this mean and how to I correct.

Thank you

Comments

• Lucas
    Lucas Reckon Staff Posts: 133 Reckon Staff
    Options

Hi @lesley_9730541,

Please check the contact number for the employee and ensure that there are no special characters (such as + - or spaces) in their Phone Number. If there is any special characters or spaces, this error can occur. Special characters can still interfere with the ATO's formatting causing the rejection.

Thank you and speak soon.

Cheers,

Lucas

• JEN
    JEN Member Posts: 35 ✭
    edited March 27
    Options

I had the exact same problem today when I went to terminate an employee. Same message as Lesley got.

I had had to take them out of being archived and reverted their pay to "Draft". They are still listed as terminated in the employee list but I need to sort this out asap!

Thanks

• Lucas
    Lucas Reckon Staff Posts: 133 Reckon Staff
    Options

Hi @JEN,

Have you attempted the above in trying to resolve the error message you are currently facing? Please, let me know how you go.

Thank you and speak soon.

Cheers,

Lucas

• JEN
    Options

I just looked at their phone number details. They are fine.

I took them out of archive but it says that I should delete their termination date. They officially left on Monday but I did their last pay today. Is the date possibly an issue? I put the termination date as 25/3/2024.

Thanks.

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,447 Community Manager Community Manager
    Options

Hi @lesley_9730541 & @JEN

Can I just confirm, do you have a leave item such as annual leave, long service leave etc included in the termination pay?

ℹī¸ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• JEN
    Options

No, this employee is a casual. No leave details are set up for them.

They have no payment to declare in this termination.

Thanks.

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,447 Community Manager Community Manager
    Options

Ok, we've got something in the works for this particular error message which is currently scheduled for release early next week after Easter weekend.

From what I understand, if there is no leave item(s) in the termination pay it should go through successfully so I'm surprised to hear that isn't the case.

They have no payment to declare in this termination.

Can I get you to please clarify the above, do you mean there is no pay balance entered or generated in the termination pay?

ℹī¸ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• JEN
    Options

Hi Rav,

This employee is a casual who I paid out his normal pay earlier today.

When trying to declare his termination details for the ATO, I didn't need to enter a pay balance because he wasn't owed anything. The glitch happened when I tried to submit the details to the ATO with the same error message as Lesley got.

I have actually done a termination declaration for another casual employee a couple of months ago, I followed the same prompts as I did today, and I had no problems. This is an issue that has come up today for some reason.

Thanks

• Rav
    edited April 4
    Options

I'm really sorry, I'm still not sure I'm quite following.

If there is no pay to report, there is no need for an STP submission so I feel that might be where things are going a bit wrong but I haven't tested this.

What are you entering into the pay run?

If there is no requirement for a termination pay (ie. if there is no pay), you just need to terminate the employee using the Terminate Employment option.

• JEN
    edited March 27
    Options

Hi Rav,

I explain as best as possible.

Two months ago, we had a casual employee who left our company but prior to his official termination, he was paid normally along with everyone else (normal pay run). I lodged his termination details via the ATO submission portal in Reckon as I thought this was the right thing to do. He wasn't owed any money, so the amounts I entered were zero. I was able to send this off these details with no problem. Now when I tried the exact same procedure with this employee today, I wasn't able to do it.

If you are saying I don't need to submit anything to the ATO because there is no payment, then I won't worry about it. I will just leave him as terminated and archive his details.

Thanks.

UPDATE: I just tried sending the employee's termination details again a moment ago and the termination details went through successfully via the ATO submit details. See, this option does work. It was a glitch earlier before.

• Rav
    Options

Hi folks,

Just looping back to this post with an update.

Our team has just pushed through a new update in the last few minutes which includes a solution to termination payruns that include leave items returning the object reference error message.

There's a chance you may need to recreate the termination payrun first but if you can please give it another go and let us know how you get on that would be great.

Thank you all for your patience and look forward to hearing from you.