MFA on multiple machines

Options
AndrewN
AndrewN Member Posts: 14

I use my Reckon One account on multiple machines (office computer, site computers, laptops and ipads). Depending upon where i am I will use one or other of these to process pays and then need to upload that info to the government using govconnect.

It seems from what I have read but never spelt out as such that I can only have one MFA connection valid at one time. Why can't I use MFA confirmation on multiple machines? And if if i can how do i do it.

If I can't what is the work around as I do not just "sit in my office" at the one computer all day. one reason for changing from a PC locked system to a web based system was to give me flexibility that is not happening.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,427 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

MFA on multiple devices is not possible. If you access GovConnect from multiple devices then I'd suggest you use the SMS option for MFA rather than the browser method.

If you are going overseas then you can revoke the SMS option and setup MFA on your browser while you're away.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

Answers

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,427 Community Manager Community Manager
    Options

What is your source of origin for MFA at the moment?

From what you've described, if you have setup MFA as the SMS option then I assume this shouldn't be an issue as long as you have the phone that the MFA code is delivered to in your possession.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• AndrewN
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hi Rav

No, I use the computer's browser to get my MFA code, not my phone. I am not always in Australia and do not use a roaming plan. An option which sent a code to an email address would work fine and most other MFA requirers have this facility but I cannot see that in Reckon.

Anyway the question was why can't I sent the MFA verification on multiple machines at the same time or if I can how do I do it? And if not, why not?

• Rav
    Options

While I'm not an authority on this by any means, MFA and whatever specific requirements are accepted for it are set out for software providers in a mandate by the ATO for Single Touch Payroll.

There are specific and fairly stringent requirements around it as it obviously relates to security. I'm only recalling what I heard a while back and it could be wrong or things might have changed since then, but from what I understand email being employed as an MFA source is not an acceptable method.

One source of truth for MFA allows valid authentication that the right person is accessing the account. If multiple sources were active at the same time it brings in a lot more risk, vulnerability and defeats the original purpose.

• AndrewN
    edited December 2022
    Options

The question I asked was regarding MFA verification on more than one device for the same person. Is this just not possible or have I missed something?

If it is not possible how does Reckon recommend solving the problem of the same user using a multitude of machines/devices (and browser for that matter as I think there can be a hiccup there too).

• AndrewN
    Options

Hmmm

Not a great solution but I will think about it.

I have worked out a work-around but it is not great and drastically reduces the security of the whole process which is really counter-to the intention.

All this and a 20% price increase. Wish I could up the fees at my child care centre by 20%!