Old user name in authenticator app after setting up MFA πŸ”’πŸ“±

Rav
Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 16,400 Reckon Community Manager Community Manager
edited May 16 in Accounts Hosted

After setting up MFA on your Reckon Accounts Hosted account using an authenticator app (such as Google Authenticator), you may have noticed a user name appear in-app for the specific MFA entry such as the screenshot below.

Where does this user name come from?

Each Reckon Accounts Hosted login has a companion Reckon Portal account automatically created for it as well. When that companion Reckon Portal account is created, it uses the details of the Reckon Accounts Hosted user as they were at the time.

After setting up MFA, the user name that displays in your authenticator app is retrieved from the companion Reckon Portal account that accompanies the Reckon Accounts Hosted login.

Some Reckon Accounts Hosted users use the companion Portal account to access GovConnect for their STP submissions while others may not, and instead have a completely separate Portal account to use for STP.

I've setup MFA for Hosted but the user name that appears in the authenticator app is from one of my previous users, what do I do?

If you've updated or changed the details of your Reckon Accounts Hosted user eg. updated the user name and/or email address in the RAH control panel, this will update the user details within Reckon Accounts Hosted itself only.

Due to this you may notice after setting up MFA the user name that appears in your authenticator app is from one of your previous users.

ℹ️ To update the MFA description in your authenticator app:

• Press and hold the MFA entry in your app
  • You will then be able to edit the description and make it easier to identify. For example, you could rename the description from Reckon Portal Services: michaelscott to Michael's MFA for RAH

Please note, the process may differ slightly depending on which authenticator app you're using.

If you have any questions on the above, please feel free to reply below.