Timing out but not logging off

Sam_9269607
Sam_9269607 Member Posts: 10 Reckoner Reckoner
edited June 28 in Accounts Hosted

This issue of RAH timing out is one thing. but we are now frequently getting the issue where the session is timing out but not logging off.

When you try to log back on the system thinks you are already logged in and you are trying to log in again. Where we now have to go and log off remote sessions before we can get back in. This is a huge issue in a retail environment.

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 16,378 Reckon Community Manager Community Manager
    edited June 20

Hi @Sam_9269607

How long is your session left idle for?

What you've described will only occur if your session has been left idle for over 3 hours without any activity. That is comprised of; one hour of inactivity until the session goes idle with a message then appearing on-screen, and then another hour without reconnecting to that session.

Is your session left inactive for extended periods of time?

πŸŽ‰ Get rewarded for contributing to the Reckon Community! Learn how you could get a $100 gift voucher each month HERE.

• MCA
    MCA Member Posts: 16 Reckoner Reckoner

Yes. Same problem here. Just lazy work by the software providers. If they are going to boot us out, they should log us out also. Waste of time. Mine continues to boot me out for inactivity for anything from 30 minutes to 2 hours. Infuriatingly, I remain logged in.

• Sam_9269607
    Sam_9269607 Member Posts: 10 Reckoner Reckoner

It can be, especially the counter terminal at this time of year.

What I don't understand is why the time out doesn't log us off all of the time. It only happens sometimes, and it is quite a slow process to log back in and find out the system still thinks you are logged in. And then have to go and log off remote sessions and log back in again. All while someone is waiting in front of you.

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 16,378 Reckon Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @Sam_9269607 & @MCA

Do you have a specific example that you can give me of this occurring, specifically the time you disconnected the session after being inactive for an extended period of time and then reconnected but was forced to logoff the active session first.

Can you please shoot the details of that example to me along with the User ID it relates to in a private message and I'll see if I can get some info around this from the product team.

πŸŽ‰ Get rewarded for contributing to the Reckon Community! Learn how you could get a $100 gift voucher each month HERE.

• MCA

This happens daily for me. Disconnected about 8 times per day. Logged in as additional user perhaps once or twice a day.

• Rav
    edited June 20

@MCA I understand that but I need a specific example where you've had to log off the previous session off in the control panel before you've been able to reconnect due to that previous session being left inactive for a extended period of time.

If you have screenshots that would be handy as well.

To be clear and just to reiterate the info from my earlier reply, leaving a session inactive for an hour will result in the session becoming idle and disconnecting along with a white message box appearing on-screen stating as such. Another hour after that the session will end.

While the above is normal/standard, I'd like to get a bit more clarity around your reports of that inactive/disconnected session not logging out completely after the 3 hour period ie. you're being forced to log it off via the control panel prior to relaunching your file.

• MCA

Message sent. Thanks

• Rav
    edited June 20

Thanks for sending through your User ID @MCA however as I've said, I need an example of the behaviour you're encountering.

Since you've reported that you have to log off a session that has been disconnected due to being left idle before you can relaunch your file, I need a specific example of that.
    You've mentioned that you need to do this once or twice a day so the next time you are forced to log off a session that has disconnected due to being left inactive for over 3 hours please send me the following info:

• The approximate time you started that session
    • The approximate time the session disconnected
    • The approximate time you tried to log back in but received the message stating the session is still logged in and you're required to log it off via the Control Panel.
    • A screenshot of what appeared on-screen when you tried reconnecting

• MCA

I thought you were going to look up my user ID and see how I have been logged off on your end. I also thought you might know how your software works and understood what is happening. Particularly since it is happening to more than 1 person. I will provide the information next time. Thanks

• Admin316171
    Admin316171 Member Posts: 11 Reckoner Reckoner

MCA & Rav,

I am having this exact same issue. I am the only admin in a trade business and am in and out of Reckon continually during the day and for varying lengths of use and absence. I understand the disconnecting is an ATO requirement however the need to log off remote users is a added level of frustration - I was hoping the 2024 update would fix this. This would happen to me on average once a day, I am going on leave in a weeks time and would love a solution to this so the guys that will be trying to do my tasks as well as their own don't have to worry about this. I have taken screen shots - to show them how to fix it and I will attach them.

Thanks Fiona

• Rav

Hi @Admin316171

Can you confirm if the above occurred after you left your Hosted session inactive for a period of over 2 hours and then tried logging back in after that?

If the above is correct, what is the approximate time you started that session and the time you tried to log back in but received that message to state you're still logged in?

• Admin316171

Hi Rav,

I have not kept track of any times previously, but have started a log today.

I had just taken a heap of screen shots to make a trouble shooting guide for the guys while I was away which is the only reason I had the pics. I will keep you posted as to my log for the next couple of days.

• Rav

Thanks for that @Admin316171

Just on a related note, we've already got a guide for logging out a session here - The attempt to login with user name failed. This user is already logged into the company file πŸ’» which might be handy for you to share with your staff.

Also, I'd recommend ensuring that whenever you're finished working on your file to use the File ➑️ Exit option to close your file and end your session. That will prevent any sessions from remaining logged in.

• Admin316171

Thanks… the issue with using file exit is it's great in theory however in real life you get pulled away from your work to deal with customers and deliveries etc rather than planned breaks away.

• Admin316171

OK, last Thursday and Friday (21&22/6) the system behaved itself - to the point on Thursday that I was not disconnected once - not even when I left the office for over an hour.

Today has been a different story -

8.20am Approx - logged in, was still in at 9.15am

10.16am checked and had been disconnected β†’ tried to reconnect and log in failed.

10.20am logged off users (2 sessions - but had only logged on once today) and reconnected.

11.26am last known use prior to lunch (but may have been later)

1.42pm went into program but had been disconnected β†’ reconnected ok this time, checked and only one session currently logged in.

My issue is not the disconnection it's the need to log users off. This morning I had to log of two sessions however this afternoon after being disconnected and reconnecting there is only on session running.

I am the only user and this is the only device used so it's frustrating an time consuming.

• Rav
    edited June 24

Thanks for the detailed example @Admin316171

Can I just clarify this step πŸ‘‡

10.16am checked and had been disconnected β†’ tried to reconnect and log in failed.

Can you let me know how exactly you tried to reconnect ie. what steps did you go through to reconnect to your file/session before encountering the message stating the user is already logged in.

• Rav

Actually scratch the above @Admin316171

I've been speaking with our Hosted team and instead, can you please do the following -

• From the looks of your screenshot, your Chrome browser has a pending update to finish. Can you please finish that update and once that is done your Chrome should restart.
    • Once it does, go into the Chrome menu ➑️Help ➑️ About Google Chrome and check if there are any further updates available. If there are, please continue updating Chrome until there are no further updates available.
    • Once you're up to date, give me the version number you're running. It'll look something like the below.
    • Next, clear your browser cache and cookies.
    • After that, use Hosted as normal

Once we've got your Chrome version, the team will try to replicate and observe the behaviour you've described on our end.

Really appreciate your detailed info on this, its really helpful.

Cheers

• Admin316171

Hi Rav,

I have updated Chrome and cleared cache and cookies, I will try from here and see how it goes.

See attached pic for Chrome version

• Admin316171

Hi Rav - Todays update:

8.16am logged in fine - did not even get prompted for MFA

used system until at least 10.51am

1.12 Went to use again and had been disconnected β†’ Closed tab β†’ logged out screen

Attempt to log in failed, no company open β†’ user already logged in message β†’ closed pop up β†’ tried exiting rather than closing tab and had same result, no company open β†’ user already logged in.

Went back to control panel and disconnected 2 sessions, was then able to open company and re start.

This is a nightmare to have to step my colleague through who is trying to help while I'm away next week.

• Rav

Thanks for this @Admin316171, I know its frustrating and I apologise for that but the info you're providing is really helpful.

I've got a member of the team looking at your examples specifically and looking to see if we can replicate what you're experiencing.

In the interim, would you be willing to try a different browser for the day and see if that is any better for you?

• Admin316171

Hi Rav,

I'll try MS edge today and see what happens.

Thanks

• Admin316171

Hi Rav,

Have been using MS Edge browser for the last couple of days with no issues.

I'll instruct my colleague to do the same in the next two weeks while I'm away and we'll see how it all goes.

Is there a helpline number I can give him to use if he has trouble while I'm away?

Thanks Fiona

• Rav

Glad to hear you've had a better experience with the other browser Fiona.

Yes, if your colleague runs into any trouble they can give our Hosted support team a call on 1300 799 150.

Have a good holiday! πŸ™‚

• MCA

I have the same problems exactly with MS Edge browser.

• Rav

@MCA How long was that session left inactive?

When you tried to reconnect after receiving that message, were you able to launch straight into your file OR did you have to go into the Hosted control panel and logoff the session first?

If its the latter do you have details of this particular example as mentioned previously?

• MCA

My apologies, my previous post retained a draft of an old picture I had previously placed here. I didn't mean to include it. I just wanted to reiterate what Admin316171 posted above. The same issues occur for me and I exclusively use MS Edge for Reckon Hosted.

• MCA

Same old thing. Tedious.