Reset POS transactions

Options
Afshin
Afshin Member Posts: 26
edited March 2017 in Point of Sale
How can I reset my POS trnsactions without resting the transaction numbers? I need to continue with the numbers because I post them to my Reckon Accounts and I don't want to have any duplicate.

Comments

• Chris McGregor
    Chris McGregor Member Posts: 140
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hey Andrew, As you know the transaction numbers in reckon accounts are not aligned with pos transaction numbers. It's for this reason that POS terminal options menu allows you to dictate which transaction number to start with. Usually I recommend client start at 10,000 in pos when reckon accounts is at transaction 1. Once you have set your new number Yu will need to do an end of day (z) and Reset the transaction number so that the next batch of transactions will start at that new number. This will need to be done for each terminal 10,000, 20,000 In reckon accounts you will need to be vigilant to always manually enter the next transaction number in sequence from yesterday's reckon accounts transactions for they continue correctly. Regards, chris
  • Chris McGregor
    edited May 2015
    Options
    He he he sorry Andrew, think I'm too set in our previous topics :) And Afshin, I apologise for getting your name wrong. Thanks Chris.
  • Afshin
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Chris, Thank you for your response this actually helps a lot however my question is, how can I not just reset the number but also delete the old transactions. my POs file is getting bigger and bigger and it's so huge that I can't use it anymore. I would like to delete the very old transactions from 2 years ago. Thank you
  • Chris McGregor
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ah i see, sorry for the confusion. In that case open POS admin and goto Tools>Options>EOD and change the number of days to keep transactions from 730 to something more friendly :) Then make sure all POS terminals are closed and perform a backup of your pos database(standard practice when doing anything big) and perform a compact repair from the tools drop down menu, this should achieve what your after I think.imageimage
  • Afshin
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thanks Chris, I've done this and I changed the number to 365 (half of what it was) and then compact repair but the file size hasn't been reduced at all and POS terminal still struggling to load... most of the times it crashes. my file size is over 180MB
  • Afshin
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi Andrew, the POS PDB file is 181MB to be exact... I was using POS 2014 and just upgraded it to 2015. my original file has been growing since we started using it 2 years ago and recently has been crashing so often. After I changed the retention from 700 days to 365 the file size didn't reduce even by 1MB...
  • Chris McGregor
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yeah I'm definitely with Andrew on this one, that's a BIG PDB file.
    You must have many layers and or heaps of images to make it that big :)
    I just did a test run on a sample database and before it's mentioned I know it's not in the same league in size but it does offer a good example.
    Original file size before cleanup was 4,228kb and after was 3,967kb so that's still 6-7% so on that basis I would have expected to see a movement of 10mb to your overall file size.

If you don't have many layers or images then I would strongly recommend backing up your layers, renaming your database from qbpos.pdb to something different like old qbpos.pdb then go open pos admin and go through the wizard to setup a new database.
    Once created import your layers again and see how slow it is now and also what the size of the file is.
    You may have lost your transaction history in pos but as long as your up to date in reckon accounts and your not using loyalty or promotions or lay-bys or appointments or tables(sounds like a lot after reading it back :) ) you should be good to go Chris
  • Afshin
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi Guys, I reduced the retention to 60 days. I have 2 layers, "Main" and "Nuts" in the main layer I have may be 10 buttons with picture and in the second layer about 20 I also have about 2300 items which 300 of them are inactive. My file now is 48MB I post my transactions almost once a day so you are right I have the latest information in reckon. The biggest problem from User Interface point of view is that as a small business it's important that any POS operator can answer customer questions and in many cases they need to go back to review transactions but they don't have access to reckon. I'm done for tonight but I'll do exactly as Chris said and we'll start a new file from scratch tomorrow to see how faster it is
  • Chris McGregor
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yay 48mb is more like it, that's a great reduction form your original 180mb. 2300 items isn't that many, from memory I believe Andrew has said previously he's running nearly 20,000 or so. With that said I think you really will notice the difference after the new file. Dont forget to note your hardware setting for receipt printer, scanner and cash draw. Oh and your right about the history factor and that's the exact reason pos has the ability to hold more then 7 days transaction. Some companies choose to have one reckon accounts install on the pos terminal with limited permissions for retail staff just to view transactions and that's it. Good for history though. Good luck and good night :) Chris
  • Afshin
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi Andrew/Chris, Thank you for your suggestions. I've already done all of these. I just checked the graphics and when I exported the layouts, the file is about 20MB so I guess the difference which is 48-20=28MB is the transactions for 60 days so now it all makes sense. I'll create a new file and try to reduce the size of the layouts. Thanks again for your help and suggestions. I'll post the outcome of my further work after it's all finished.
  • Afshin
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi All, I just wanted to report that the problem is fixed after removing or reducing the size of images. Now my file is much smaller. I guess most of the file was just images. Thank you for your help. My POS isn't crashing anymore ;)