POS 2014 pro. Multiple accounts on hold take a long time to retrieve. Upto 90 secs.

Options
Stephen Jones_7841834
Stephen Jones_7841834 Member Posts: 8
edited March 2017 in Point of Sale

Single till connected to back office. When multiple accounts are on hold (30+) when retrieving these accounts can take up to 90 seconds to display on till. Does anyone know why this takes so long?

TIA

Comments

• Chris McGregor
    Chris McGregor Member Posts: 140
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Ouch.. The only time I've seen anything close to that was when the client was running on a wifi network or had a terrible network and as a result pos took a while to load data. Other then that I have never seen it that slow. Chris
  • Stephen Jones_7841834
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.Excuse my ignorance but are those accounts on hold locally on the till or being pulled from the back office machine over the network?
  • Stephen Jones_7841834
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi Andrew,
    I have been asked to take a look and try and resolve the issue for a new client.
    The POS was setup a few years ago and I strongly believe no real maintenance has probably been done. I have been reading the manual and was going to try a compact and repair and also setup a backup of the POS database.
    Setup is a single POS linked to a back office PC running POS 2014 Pro. The till is connected via cat5 but I do not know what speed. I will look into your questions re database size and where it is located when I visit Monday.
    They have so many accounts on hold sometimes because it is a small golf club and often after events they will have this situation arise. Apart from this the till I have been told is functioning fine.
    This is my first time working with this software hence the question and any advice and tips greatly appreciated. Thanks Steve.
  • Stephen Jones_7841834
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi Andrew, Thank you for your reply. I will look into your recommendations and hopefully this will resolve their problem. Thanks for taking the time regards Steve.
  • Stephen Jones_7841834
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Onsite now. Moved the database to till but have an issue as didn't do a Post. If you are free for a call that would be great.
  • Stephen Jones_7841834
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi Andrew,

Moved database from back office to till. Performed compact and repair, reduced transaction history to 7 days, database now 11MB. I popped in today and the issue remains. They had about 12 accounts on hold (They are on hold because they have a surcharge for credit card transactions so customers keep their tab on hold until ready to pay) we went to retrieve an account for the customer to pay and it took about 60 seconds to appear. Would more memory in the till help it currently has 2GB running win 7 pro?

Regards Steve

• Stephen Jones_7841834
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi Andrew,

The till seems to perform ok in all other aspects. The was something that popped up whilst I was sorting out their backups. This hadn't been done since July for the database and reckon accounts.

When I tried to backup the till after POSTing it kept saying there was a till with transactions open, when I investigated they had another till showing up as a table management reservation till, something they informed me they have never had. I deleted this till at the time as recommended by Reckon support.

They have one receipt printer connected to the till and that's it.

I will try removing the network cable next time I'm there, I now recall them saying in passing about "sharing" this software with another business not sure how but this could explain the ghost till and maybe as you suggested the till is searching for something what I don't know. Seems like it's a bit of a mess for a single till system.

Anyway thanks again for helping out on a Sunday.

Much appreciated Steve.

• Stephen Jones_7841834
    edited April 2016
    Options

Cheers I will check firewall settings as well.