_SuperEmployerContribSpouse Transaction Errors

Paul Blake
Paul Blake Member Posts: 24
I use Quicken Personal Plus. I have two Superannuation accounts, one for me and one for my wife. Our accounts are not related in any way, we each make our own contributions, but I did configure my wife's account as "My Spouse's Account" when setting it up. Each of us has a scheduled pay check transaction that includes the weekly superannuation contributions.

Every year I get a random number of my wife's transactions that get incorrectly allocated to _SuperEmployerContrib and some of my transactions that get incorrectly allocated to _SuperEmployerContribSpouse. I have to make journal transactions to fix the accounting errors every year.

Does anyone know what may be triggering the use of these incorrect categories? The actual superannuation account balances are correct, it's just the behind-the-scenes categories that Quicken uses that are incorrect. It drives me mental each year!!!
Can anyone suggest a fix? I presume it's a bug.

Comments

• Leon_6849533
    Leon_6849533 Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2018
    It's a bug !
    I'd try to hide the category in the Categories list.

• John Campbell
    John Campbell Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited July 2017

Paul,

I am thinking that the length of the two category names may be producing some confusion; either

1) with the user interface, where the wrong category is being selected when the name display is being truncated, or

2) with RPP not recognising the two categories are different, as the names are too long.

I would suspect the first, and would try to create names that are shorter and different, say:

_SEC_me and _SEC_spouse, rather than xxx and xxxSpouse

I am also not sure about the underscore at the start of the category names. Is this a standard/special category provided by RPP that can not be changed ? This may give problems for changing the category names. As far as I know, categories can be named anything and grouped in any sub category.

You also have the Edit > Find & Replace > Recategorise option which you could use to tidy up incorrect transactions, but again there could be problems displaying such a long category name in the "recategorise option" which supplies a fairly small pop-up window.

Create new category names that are easier to see.

Have you tried the Edit > Find & Replace > Recategorise option ?

John

• Paul Blake
    Paul Blake Member Posts: 24
    edited December 2017
    John
    The _ names are not mine, they are system generated standard account names that Quicken uses and creates itself. All categories starting with _ are internal system categories. I've not tried recategorising (rather than journal entries). That would leave the history "cleaner" but doesn't solve the underlying problem. :)

Diver
    Yes, I use scheduled transactions, so they don't change from week to week. There must be something however that triggers it. It's only the internal _Super... categories that get stuffed up, the accounts themselves are OK.

Paul