Reckon Personal plus 2020 Backup

Options
Megan Rule
Megan Rule Member Posts: 40
When I backup my Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2020 file to a folder on my computer (i.e. when I am asked at backup if I want top create a new file/location to back up to - I unclick the compressed file option) it is different from the file that Reckon automatically backs up to when it closes. ie If I leave/close the file I am using on Reckon and then choose/open the Reckon account QDF data file I backed up, I find a lot of (all) share prices both Australian shares and US stocks are missing; but, if I then go back, (go to 'file' then choose the previous file name listed) they are still in the original file that my laptop automatically backs up to. I have tried copying and pasting that file to another folder, but same issue/problem when I open it. 

Strangely the 'net worth' total of the list of accounts on left side of the home page is correct on the new backup file (ie the one I make, in a new folder) - but the net worth shown in the net worth graph on the same home page is wrong (about a third of the value it should be). This is also the case if I access a 'net worth' report - ie it is wrong, same as the graph. 

So the problem is - if I back up to a USB etc, it seems like when I retrieve that file (eg if I buy a new laptop and want to transfer the data), it will be missing a whole lot of info. 

Please advise -

Help please. 

Comments

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited September 2020
    Options
    https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/qph-file-does-not-load-when-doing-backup    might explain.  be sure to copy (with Windows istelf as a copy/paste to a separate backup folder on an external disk/memory stick or cloud backup)    all 6 file types,  especially noting the ,QPH  file.      6 files end in   QIN    HCX  QDF   IDX  QEL  QPH.   Windows, by default, HIDES the 3 character (sometimes 4) file TYPE (extensions).  Use your Windows Explorer program  VIEW OPTIONS to stop hiding the TYPES of files that are displayed, so that when you are exploring files/folders all over your hard drives you get to see those vital TYPES of files  (ie:  the .QPH  extension TYPE).   Sure beats having to right-click--> Properties on all the files to see their full file name all the time,  to satisfy yourself you are dealing with 6 totally different FILES (having those 6 different extensions TYPE after the 'dot').  For many people this is an area of Windows they don't play with, so let me use an example.  Say you create a file called:  myexample.xls  and another file called myexample.doc   and then look at them sitting in a folder using Windows Explorer.  They will both be shown in brief as 'myexample'.     There will be a column nthat Windows uses to tell you that the system has associated EXCEL with the .xls one,  and WORD with the .doc one  (or programs you choose to use instead, perhaps open source alternatives like LibreOffice CALC and WRITER)....  but you won't see the .doc   or the .xls   shown.   There is a VIEW OPTION that you can disable,  that says something along the lines of "Don't hide extensions for files that Windows has associations with".   In other words,  please just show me the entire file name with its type/extension as well.     Then you can do things like use the Windows SEACRH tool to go find  *.QPH  which means:  Go searching my entire disk for ANYTHING (*) that ha .QPH on the end as an EXTENSION (TYPE) of file.  That's how you will find your SHAR HISTORY file (.QPH) and sitting beside it, you'll also find the 5 sibling files making up the full set of 6 files needed to copy/paste transfer  (NOT MOVE!!)  to a secondary place for security and fallback.

• Megan Rule
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Thanks for your help Gary -

when I go to reopen (i.e from Reckon - I choose 'file', then 'Open' and then choose the file to open on my laptop) a particular Reckon file I can only click on one of those six file types you mention - I see  a group of them in a file folder together

eg In the folder I backed up to, I have a large QDF data file (the one I click on), and also three other ones from the same date of backup, marked with extensions HCX, QPH and QEL, (no QIN or IDX in the folder I backed up to, though strangely I find them in other folders - with today's date, same as backup - when I search my Windows laptop) -

So how do I ensure that the type of file you mention (QPH) is somehow included when I click on/open the QDF file in the folder I have backed up to, so that I get the share prices too? Again, thanks for your help
  • gazza73
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Call me in the morning on 0408994799 and I'll explain.   Basically the 6 entire files need to be in a folder that you want to use.    Gary
  • Megan Rule
    edited September 2020
    Options
    thanks Gary - so basically if I copy and paste the six file types in the one folder and then access the QDF file, i should be right to go?.... ok, I just backed up my file and then looked in the newly made folder I backed up to and - somewhat miraculously-  all six file types were in there ... plus a QTX file too (maybe assoc with the compressed RKN file i accidentally backed up as first, forgetting to unclicking the little box at backup?) was also in the folder.

All files have today's date Sep 8, bar the QIN and QTX which are marked Sep 2. So after the back up i went to 'file', clicked on the QDF file in that new folder and low and behold, all was well.

So confusing and a glitch in Reckon that in 'backup', for successful retrieval, one needs to ensure all these most recent file types are in the file folder one backed up to. It should happen automatically i would have thought. 
  • gazza73
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Megan.    I guess  I like to see ALL the files and make additional copies to separate, external, remote or removable disk or cloud storage devices _ PLUS test the one's that I've copied,  to make sure all is well.  Call me paranoid,  but after 45 years working in the computer industry doing support,   I don't like losing files!   Glad you had a good outcome.     Cheers,   Gary