How do I delete Journal Entries created when cleaning up a company file?

Options
Catherine CH
Catherine CH Member Posts: 4
edited July 2020 in Accounts Hosted

Comments

• Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,307 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Like any other transaction - open the journal entry and press Ctrl D. Whatever transaction is on the screen, Ctrl D will delete it. Just be sure you really want to delete it because you’ll need to redo it is you make a mistake
  • Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Catherine, I agree with Kris - be very careful!  These were created for a reason - if you delete them - your balances going forward will all be changed and most likely make your data for later years incorrect?  I would not recommend deleting them without careful consideration first.
  • Catherine CH
    Catherine CH Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Thank you Chris and Linda.  I am trying to strip out a company file, entering starting balances and Trial Balance entries to align with the accountants figures as at the start of this year.  A suggestion was to back up the company, restore as a new name, then run Clean Up Company Data.   This way could retain customer information, lists, currencies etc.  After Clean up Company Data it has left me with journal entries that are unable to be deleted - have tried Ctrl D etc etc.  Do you have any suggestions?
  • Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,307 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I would get the new Trial balance side by side with the current trial balance from the file, work out the differences and enter a single journal dated 30/6/20, debiting  and crediting each account to bring them into line. The final line can be posted to Retained Earnings
  • Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Catherine if the purpose is to start a new file - then start a new file - you can export all the customers, accounts, suppliers, items, etc from the old file - and import into the new file - then enter the opening balances... I would advise setting up employees manually and not trying to import them - this seems to be fraught with danger sometimes - and cleaner to just reenter... but the other lists can be imported sucessfully.  Make sure when creating the new file that you select NO business type (you can select it later) and NO chart of accounts - this ensure you dont get unwanted accounts created before you have a chance to import you old chart of accounts.
  • Kris_Williams
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Yes Catherine’s way is the best if you don’t need to keep any historical data
  • GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,235 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert
    edited July 2020
    Options
    And if you do need historical data you always have the old file to refer to.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. +61 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

Email: gwinter0808@gmail.com