How to find discrepancy between General Ledger code - GST Payable and Tax Detail Report

Options
Rosie
Rosie Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
We are on an accrual basis using Reckon Accounts and have an amount that is still sitting in our GST Payable account on the Balance Sheet after completing the BAS. We used the GST Detail report and GST Liability report. I have found that there is a variance between the GL transactions for the GST Payable account and all other reports used for the BAS (Tax Summary, Tax Detail, P& L & Balance (with tax amounts included). I can not find a way to compare the transactions included in the GST Payable account and the other reports so I can't find what is making up the variation. Does anyone have any ideas of why there would be an amount in the GST Payable Account that is not showing on the P&L or Balance Sheet or on the Tax Summary / Detail report.

Perhaps, there would be a report that I could run to compare the two different amounts to find the discrepancy?

Any help would really be appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• vinia
    vinia Alumni Posts: 53
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hello Rosie,

Thank you for using the Reckon Community.

Reckon handles all GST related transactions through the default Tax/GST Payable account.  This account is linked to the use of the Gross and Net for the display of GST amounts. 

Please follow the steps below and check the reports after: 

WORK AROUND:

1.    Edit > Preferences > Reports & Graphs > Company Preferences

2.    In Default Reporting, set Tax to Net.  Do not click OK

3.    Select the Tax preference and select Yes to the message;

4.    In the Company Preferences tab, for Sales figures, select Net;

5.    Click OK to Save. 

This should show the right value.

Kind Regards,

Vinia

Reckon Technical Support

• Rosie
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi Vinia,
                 Thanks for your reply. I checked our settings. I already had the Tax Set to Net but not the Sales so I changed this. I still got the same figures on all of my reports before making this change and after. Do you have any other ideas on why this would be happening?

I am only out a few thousand and its only in one quarter not the next quarter.

I am just not sure how to find where this amount is and why it isn't showing on any of the tax detail, Profit & Loss with tax amounts and Balance Sheet with tax amounts.

I can't cross off between the GL account and the tax detail report because the GL account shows the total GST for each transaction whereas all other reports break it down into each account code used in the transaction.

Thanks, Rosie
  • vinia
    vinia Alumni Posts: 53
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hello Rosie,

What we normally suggest is to drill down dates of your GST Payable account to see where the amount is coming from.

Also, how do you normally pay your GST payable liabilities, do you go to:

1. Supplier menu > tax activities > pay tax .??

or do you journal them and sometimes create a cheque?

coz this maybe the cause of the discrepancy.

Kindly email me your details so I can ring you. Best to talk bout it over the phone. And please do not forget to give your customer id too. thank you 

my email is: vinia.laguda@reckon.com.au 

Kind Regards,
    Vinia 
  • Rosie
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi Vinia,

We do not have a customer support plan so I may not be able to call you?

We do not use the "Pay tax function" as we have 6 different classes and 6 different BAS's to be produced from the one Reckon file. We also have to adjust some of the entries from the tax detail report for example the rent deducted from wages does not have the INP tax code so we need to add this manually.

We use the tax summary and tax liability reports to determine the tax amount payable for each class then enter the amounts payable via a bill for each class.

Usually the amount of tax payable on the Balance Sheet would go back to zero after entering all of the BAS's however there is a small amount of about $2500 still sitting in the GST Payable account and there is no way of finding what this is because it doesn't show in the GST Detail or Summary report or in the P&L or B/S. It only seems to be in the GST Payable GL account.

Perhaps I will need to call up and pay to speak to someone at Reckon as we have not been able to find this amount with any of the available report and it is too large an amount to write off.

Thanks, Rosie