How to Fix -5006 Error when updating Tax Tables

Options
Mirko
Mirko Alumni Posts: 1,256 ✭✭
edited August 2016 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Hey Guys,

If you run into the above error below is the reason it has occurred and more importantly (why you're all here!) how to resolve it!

Why do I get this error when I apply the tax table update?

An error (-5006, 0x80070002) has occurred while running the setup.Note: Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications.

Solution:

You will receive this message when you attempt to install the tax table update through a remote session (without sufficient permissions).

Historically we have found that the tax table patch requires sufficient permissions for the Remote User for it to be applied. It has been found the easiest way to successfully install the patch is by being physically on the PC and logged on as a Local Administrator user.

Steps to take:

Go to the PC
2. Log on as an Admin User
3. Install the tax table update.

Note:
If installing on a Server 2008
, you should have the Terminal Services Mode enabled or switch to install mode, then install through Programs and Features and not by clicking on the install file.

Cheers!

Comments

• Anne_6962402
    Anne_6962402 Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Hi Mirko
    I am receiving a -2004 error message when trying to install the 2014 tax update. All programs have been shut down and the computer rebooted. Only one computer so cannot be a 'remoteness' issue and only one login so can't be an admin issue. Any tips?
    Thanks, Anne
  • Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hey Anne, can you post up a screen shot of the error message? So I can further investigated. I can't seem to locate any information on a -2004 error. Thanks, Mirko
  • Anne_6962402
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Hi Mirko
    I can't work out how to screen shot on this laptop but here are the details:

An error (-5004 : 0x80041f42) has occured while running the setup.

Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications. If the error still occurs, please contact your vendor: Reckon Ltd (http://www.reckon.com).

From the details window:
    Error code: -5004 : 0x80041f42
    Error Information:
    *C;\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime
    \10\01\Intel32\iKernel.dll
    >inc\CoCreate.cpp (41)
    >SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1557)
    PAPP:Reckon Accounts 2014 Tax Update
    PVENDOE: Reckon Ltd (http://www.reckon.com)
    PGUID:0D9D1D4B-0016-47AC-B87B-13D1249EB35D
    $10.1.0.238PAK
    @Windows XP Service Pack 1 (7601) BT_OTHER 55268.24

Looking forward to your assistance! I have pays that need to be processed on Saturday as I am about to go away for 3 weeks and up until now I have been resisting pressure from the accountants to move to XERO...

All the best
    Anne
  • Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hey Anne, searched up error -5004 and found this article: http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=3882

Let me know how you go, and hope you enjoy for 3 weeks off!

• Anne_6962402
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Thankyou Mirko!
    Just one problem... I don't have a folder called InstallShield under C:\ProgramFiles\Common Files.
    Should I just create one? 
    Sorry, know how to keep books but IT stumps me.
    All the best
    Anne
  • Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Totally understandable, I'm not an IT whiz myself! (that's where google comes in handy and all my friends and family think I'm actually an IT Guru! :) )

There's few things that could be causing problem:

1. You must be the Built in Admin or have full admin rights
    2. It may be a hidden file or folder: How to view hidden windows files:  http://www.wikihow.com/Find-Hidden-Files-and-Folders-in-Windows

There is also Solution 2 or 3 you can try on that article.

Thanks,
    Mirko

• Anne_6962402
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Hi Mirko
    I've been very busy and obedient but I've had no success.
    There is only one User for this computer and it is set up as Administrator. So I am logged in Administrator...
    All hidden files are already being displayed.
    I have worked my way through Solution 1 by adding the missing folder(!!!) but without success (rebooted twice).
    I have worked my way through the various methods included in Solution 2 without any success.
    Solution 3: I am presuming as the only User I have full Admin rights and Full Control permissions???
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks
    Anne
  • Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hey Anne, thanks for the updated.

Looking at your error message again, I noticed it mentions:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\10\01\Intel32\iKernel.dll

So the folder may already exist at that location, and that may well be where the error exists.

Try to copy and paste this into your windows browser: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\

I did so and it took me here:

If you are able to find the folder, it would be wise to try and do the rename to it there. (Click on Common Files so you are able to rename the folder as per image below)

Another option maybe to uninstall Reckon Accounts as a whole and re-install it, as there seems to be a corruption somewhere.

Let me know how you go.

Thanks,
    Mirko

• Anne_6962402
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Thankyou Mirko!!!
    WE HAVE SUCCESS! 
    There is much relief & rejoicing here...
    Thanks for your help and prompt responses.
    All the best
    Anne