Personal Plus 2016

Options
Bob Muirhead
Bob Muirhead Member Posts: 3
We have been users of the Quicken/Reckon Share Portfolio dating back to the early 1990s and have generally upgraded with each release. 

Received the email for the Personal Plus 2016 upgrade, downloaded the zip file then moved to installation. A number of hopefully constructive observations for the developers.

1. Unpack the zip file which then progresses to install, then you are advised to uninstall the previous version. A suggestion build the uninstall into the install process with a user question as to whether you wish to proceed.

2. For the Windows 10 users, and certainly in my case there was a need to select Properties and run the application with administrator rights. There is no mention of this in install instructions. 

3. When I did get the application to run it produced a Server Error, my thinking is the server had not updated with the latest details - without change at my end it did eventually allow registration to be completed.

Comments

• Bob Muirhead
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The work around would be to reinstall the older version from the DVD?
  • gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Bob/Leif

Uninstalling/reinstalling on WWin10 seems to be OK.  I'm in a situation where I need to debug two different 'personal' products:  (H&B) 20XX Home and Business,    or  (PP) 20xx Personal Plus.   Because only one of those two products can be present at one time,  I'm forever uninstalling one and re-installing the other so that I can tackle a community query.  They install and register/activate no worries.   Both products utilise the SAME setup distribution file  "ReckonAccountsPersonal_2016.exe"   and I leave that lying around.  In my case the CD KEY determines which of the two products the outcome becomes  (ie:PP or H&B).

In the case of swapping to/fro from 2015 to 2016,  the same experience applies.

Gary Pope
    m: 0408994799 
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac...
    "Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
         independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant"

• Bob Muirhead
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi Garry It may be possible to run a virtual machine, not sure how application installs work, whether the registry is shared. Microsoft released virtual machines in Windows 7, if you Google Microsoft releases free Windows 10 virtual machines you should find details. Regards... Bob
  • gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2016
    Options
    G'day Bob.  

Sorry for confusing the answer with an analogy of my situation - that wasn't the intention.  

What I was trying to impart, is that the process of uninstalling one PP20xx version and installing (or subsequently re-installing) another version of PP20xx - is no worries   (and being able to enjoy this without reverting back to an entire operating system restore point, in the future, which may have other intervening enhancements or system updates the user desires to retain).

Gary