Quicken Personal 2005: renew licence or upgrade?

Options
Loretta_7648354
Loretta_7648354 Member Posts: 5
I have been using Quicken Personal 2005 happily for 10  years and I don't want to change. I cannot afford to upgrade to Reckon 2015 personal plus or Reckon 2015 personal.
I do not need any fancy things like downloads of shares etc. Just basic home accounting & budgeting.  How can I do this on the cheap? I have limited resources as I cannot work. 

Comments

• Shane_6461899
    Shane_6461899 Reckon Staff Posts: 339 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Hi Loretta,

Reckon One would be the way to go - https://www.reckon.com/en-au/business/one/home.  The basic package starts at $5 a month, and if you are ever running low on funds for a particular month you can deactivate the book prior to the next billing cycle, and when it comes around you wont be charged, but you will still have read only access to your book until you want to reactive it.  It's a very cool product.  And because its a cloud based product you will be able to access it from pretty much any where you can access a computer or tablet and the internet.  I would recommend to start the free trial and have a look at the demo book to see if the reporting gives you what you need, and have a little play around to see what you think.  Hope that helps.

Regards,
    Shane.
  • Loretta_7648354
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I cannot be connected to the Internet every time I need to add a purchase or spend money. Not for me. Thanks anyway.
  • fransdad
    fransdad Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Loretta, if you are on a low or fixed income you certainly don't want to be signing up for subscription software - on the cloud or not.  Subscription software is increasingly the preferred sales mode but benefits no-one but the sellers.  It's a con and essentially means that you get sfa for your money.

I would suggest that you just carry on using what you've got.  All you will really lose is things like tax updates or connectivity with financial institutions.  I used Quicken from when it was first introduced as a Mac program.  It was a great program and went through several versions with real improvements.  Then, for whatever reason, it ended up as part of the Reckon stable and since then it's been a disaster.

Just to confuse matters, Reckon have a 2015 version which has been canned by all who have used it  and Quicken, themselves, are actually working on a new version but I'm not sure what it will be like.

If, for whatever reason you wish to change.  I'd recommend that you take a look at:

Ace Money - inexpensive yet award winning software that’s right up to date and available for Mac and Windows:  go to: http://store.hermanstreet.com/business-office-acemoney-download/?&ICID=pin-acemoney%25202014-08-...
    where, at the moment you can get it for less than $40 fully legal and supported.

You Need a Budget, marketed as YNAB.  It's received great reviews and has a 34 free full featured demo version so you can readily check out whether its for you.  Go to: http://www.youneedabudget.com/features   YNAB is available for Mac or Windows.

Another great program is IBank at: www.iggsoftware.com/?
    Unfortunately, IBank is only for Mac and I’m not sure whether you’re on Mac or Windows. iBank offers a 30 day free trial and a 90 day satisfaction guarantee.

You may also want to take a look at Top Ten Reviews of personal financial software:  They are very detailed in their examination and comparison of the programs with an easy to understand matrix showing which has what features:  http://personal-finance-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

An issue that may affect your is whether you want to transfer you current Quicken files into your new program.  I have done this with both YNAB and iBank but found it most straightforward with iBank.  However, my recommendation would be that unless it is really essential to transfer your existing files, that you simply print appropriate reports or back them up to a USB stick or DVD and start afresh.

One last option that’s a possibility, depending on your computer skills and what other software you have, is to simply create a spreadsheet or database of your own using MS Office Excel or Mac’s Numbers or Open Office (free software) …  There are many otions and it’s not hard but does require some familiarity with the software and a clear understanding of what you want to achieve. 

Please feel welcome to get in touch if you need clarification of anything.  I know what it is like to have limited resources and just want something to simply get the job done.  Sadly, in our world today, most developers or companies are more interested in profit than what suits the client.

• Loretta_7648354
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the info, I am using Win7. I use spreadsheets for my budgets already but like to track where the small amounts of money go and I have too many bank accounts to track in spreadsheet format. Quicken Personal was ideal but it keeps telling me that my licence will expire in September. I have never had this happen before. I just want to keep using it.
  • gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Loretta.   So it is that  "September license renewal" message that seems to be your only worry?   Perhaps that is the matter that needs clarification,  if you are otherwise happy to continue with what you have.   Have a closer look at where that 'message' is appearing (share it here as a screen shot with no personal info),  and perhaps the Reckon team can identify whether there is in fact a need to upgrade anything?  What is different today, 10 years after 2005?

Gary Pope
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant  (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-accounts-clarified/
    "Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
          independent IT Professional
    and retired FCPA Accountant"
  • Shane_6461899
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Hi Lorreta,

That's fine if you don't want to change, i have misunderstood what you were asking.  Just call 1800 732 566 if you want to keep using Quicken 2005.  They can help refresh the license.

Regards,
    Shane.
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Options
    So.  this other article addressed the same point, Loretta:

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/quicken-deactivated?utm_source=notification&utm_mediu...

Just renew what you've got every 3 years for the purposes of 'keeping in touch'....

Enjoy!

Gary

• Loretta_7648354
    edited February 2017
    Options
    imaget
    This is one that keeps popping up at the most annoying times
  • ARC BookKeeping
    ARC BookKeeping Member Posts: 168
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Loretta,

A quick Call to Reckon Activations will have your product up and running in no time. 

Australia:

1800 RECKON (Toll-free 1800 732 566)

New Zealand

0800 933 606

Just found a web page to do this with too.. http://registration.reckon.com/reregistration/default.aspx 

Cheers
    Angie Carlyle
  • fransdad
    fransdad Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Not in my experience.  The activation process is a disaster, time consuming, unnecessary and a real inconvenience.  I've also contacted Reckon for information and not even had a reply.  Not impressed at all.
  • Loretta_7648354
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Website does not do 2005 and I cannot speak on the phone, I use email & chats.
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Loretta.    

see:  https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/quicken-deactivated?utm_source=notification&utm_mediu...

Some support for you.....

Sorry to learn you cannot speak on the phone.    I doubt an email to PSGsupport@reckon.com.au will help, even with your identification (  your 7-digit User ID) PLUS the PRE-activation codes normally spoken over the phone, at the 'telephone activation screen,  awaiting a usual reply from such a call.  If they can provide that via email,  the problem might be one of TIMING, because those PRE-activation codes are different every time you initiate a telephone activation process, and you're unlikely to leave your computer at that 'page' awaiting the reply of an email.   You may need to call upon a colleague to make that phone call on your behalf whilst the screen is showing the codes for you.

The reason for the pre-2010 products not being able to ire-activate over the internet, is explained at this forum article for you:

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/i-want-to-reactivate-my-reckon-quickbooks-2007-08-reckon-...

Cheers

Gary Pope
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant  (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-accounts-clarified/
    "Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
          independent IT Professional
    and retired FCPA Accountant"
  • Shane_6461899
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Hi Loretta,

If you cant talk on the phone  you can email customerservice@reckon.com to activate your quicken 20015.  On that screen you provided the screenshot of click on Renew and email through the product key and they will reply with the license key to activate it.

Regards,
    Shane.
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Options
    terrific, Shane - thanks for stepping in to help her.    Gary
This discussion has been closed.