General Journal Import in QuickBooks Accounting: Small Business Edition 2012-13

Options
Tracy Huang
Tracy Huang Member Posts: 1
edited January 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)

Dear Sir,

I am after General Journal Import function for QuickBooks Accounting: Small Business Edition 2012-13.

I want to avoid manual general journal entries and looking for a function to import general journals from a file which format can be generated from Excel. Could you please advise if the function is already available in the edition I am using (I've tried searching the help file and unable to find the function)?

If yes, could you please advise how to use it.

If not, could you please advise if you have an add-on that I can purchase?

If no existing add-on, how much would it cost if I want to have it developed?

Many thanks,

LT Family Super Fund

Quicken Customer ID: 1385314

Comments

• cosmic
    cosmic Reckon Developer Partner Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Tracy, interesting, call me see if i can help you on this.
    02 95411338, 0407068942

Cosmic Accounting Group

Accountants and Tax Agents 22397009

• Charley
    Charley Member Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Tracy; Chandra if she is already doing it in Excel why is she not doing it straight into QuickBooks; surely that would be simpler
  • cosmic
    cosmic Reckon Developer Partner Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I think, not knowing full info, if she is getting entries from 3rd party application into Excel format then, hope fully automating the process will help a lot. Of course we have our great iif, import, the next free option, but you require mapping and there are application that uses iif tool to bring info in.
    Our process is full automation,stopped using iif, for long time.

Cosmic Accounting Group

Accountants and Tax Agents 22397009

• Charley
    Charley Member Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Chandra, soukria, feeling roundly chastised here; didn't think of that duh!
  • Lauren Kate
    Lauren Kate Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi,

We seem to be having the same issue. Using a third party payroll system and need to import the journal entries. We currently have a iif file but when importing i get the below error message 'General Journal Entries do not affect payroll liabilities. To adjust your liabilities go to the employees menu, choose adjust payroll liabilities. Do you still wish to save this General Journal Entry?

When selecting 'Yes' the box reappears with the same question and wont allow me to go any further. 

Please help!

Thank you in advance.
  • Lauren Kate
    Lauren Kate Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sorry i should have mentioned that we are using Reckon Accounts Premier Edition 2015.
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi Lauren,

Welcome to the Reckon community.

The message you are getting is benign and alerting you that you will not have access to some functionality due to the way the transaction was entered into Reckon Accounts.

All payroll functions and their transactions are handled by the "Payroll Module" inside the Reckon Accounts programme, and must be entered via the entry form for the module - that is, the pay Employees function.  When you call on a report or another payroll function that has a prerequisite payroll function, only information stored in the payroll module is used.  The payroll module will make totals available to the core programme so you see the effects on the transaction in P/L and Balance Sheet Reports, in the Chart of Accounts, but the detail is stored in the payroll module and accessed only by pre-configured Payroll reports and functions.  

Entering a pay by General Journal means that transaction is not part of the Reckon Accounts payroll module and is not available for payroll reports or subsequent payroll functions - like payslips, payment summaries and processing Payroll Liabilities.  The 
    Adjust Payroll Liabilities function allows you to make adjustments to the Payroll Module so that this transaction will be included when using the Pay Payroll Liabilities function.  

This need not be a problem as you can pay your Payroll Liabilities by General Journal too (or by a Write Cheque).  You just don't have access to the tracking function of the payroll module to ensure you are paying the correct amounts for the specified time period, and that all amounts are eventually paid.    

If you choose to use the payroll module for your Payroll Liabilities then you must proceed with the adjustment.  If you do not have the Payroll Module switched on in Preferences > Payroll & Employees then the message may be coming back because it is failing to trigger that module.  Otherwise, just close it and go to Employees > Pay Payroll Liabilities > Adjust Payroll Liabilities.

Hope this explains the situation.

regards,
    John