Can Personal Plus upload previous Share Trades via a csv file

Options
Pete Will
Pete Will Member Posts: 2
Can Personal Plus upload previous Share Trades via a csv file

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,392 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi Pete,

It doesn't look like this is available within Personal Plus at this stage unfortunately.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Inigo
    Inigo Member Posts: 193
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi Pete,

If you mean "Can Personal Plus export investment transactions into a CSV file" then you can generate a transaction report and export/print that as a CSV file.

Click Reports menu
    Then Investing
    Then Investment Transactions
    Then Export Data and select Report to Excel compatible format

If you mean "Can Personal Plus import investment transactions from a CSV file" then you would need to turn your CSV file into a QIF file. (You cannot import a CSV file directly)

Here is a link to what the structure of a QIF file is like.

Here is an example investment transaction:
    !Account
    <b>NJoint Brokerage Account<br></b><b>TInvst<br></b><b>^<br></b><b>!Type:Invst<br></b><b>D12/21' 7<br></b><b>NBuy<br></b><b>YIBM<br></b><b>T11010.00<br></b><b>I110.10<br></b><b>Q100<br></b><b>MPurchase of 100 shares of IBM stock on 21 December 2007 at $110.10 per share<br></b><b>^</b>
    For more information see the detailed explanation on the <a target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicken_Interchange_Format#Direct_method" title="Link https//enwikipediaorg/wiki/Quicken_Interchange_FormatDirect_method">Direct Method</a>    
    -IM

• John Campbell
    John Campbell Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi Pete,

There are a number of possibilities for your question:

A) If you want to export transactions from the Quicken database, it is possible to write out an "All transactions" report to a file. I find printing to file using a .prn file is the best format for general transaction accounts, as these are effectively .csv files that can be imported into Excel. (note each report is limited to 32,000 transactions, so it can be easy to split reports by date range.)

However, for share transaction accounts, my attempts have not been very successful, as the reporting of the share sell or buy amounts are not reported to the precision of the transaction. For example, the share price is rounded and for trusts, the number of shares can also not be reported to the precision that was used.

All is not lost, as the report gives a template of the transactions which you can import into excel and then interrogate Quicken to get the missing parts of the transaction in more detail. Unfortunately Quicken does not store the original transaction in the same format as entered, especially for reinvest dividend transactions and franking credits.

B) If you want to import share trades into Quicken, via a .csv file format, I expect this to be very difficult. I do not know how that could be done.

I have never resorted to importing any transactions into QPP, as the categories of the file source are different from my categories in Quicken. I am not aware of a facility for importing dividend transactions, as the reinvest could be a challenge.

For buy and Sell transactions, the information required is also quite diverse, such as where are resulting funds being transferred.

C) If you want to import/export share prices; this is something that can be done via a .csv file, although not easily. Actually it is made very difficult by Reckon, which is again the Reckon customer experience !

You can import multiple price records in a single .csv file and there is a lot in this forum about the various file formats.

D) If you want to export prices, I only know how you can do it for one company at a time. From Security detail view; select Update > Edit Price History > Print > Export > .PRN disk file.  This will produce a file for the selected company only, so repeat the process. Other related transactions, such as splits or consolidations may be a problem.

In summary transfers between Quicken Personal and .csv files have not been high on Reckon's list of supported features and looks unlikely to be improved some time soon.

If anyone has better information than I have provided here, please update, as I would like to know.

John

• st_6872571
    st_6872571 Member Posts: 79
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi John,

The other day I came across a little-hidden trick, Ctrl-Shift-Z,  and this will add an entry to the menu FILE - EXPORT.   At present only two entries exist but after Ctrl-Shift-Z, you'll notice a QIF option.   You will be able to export your share trading accounts with ease. 

I can't take credit for this; it was an answer to a question I posted some days ago per this thread.

• Andrew Bell
    Andrew Bell Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Not in my copy it doesn't!
  • Pete Will
    Pete Will Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone who replied. It's unanimous, it can't.?
  • st_6872571
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi Pete,

Is there any way you can convert the CSV file into a QIF file?   If so, convert it.   The format of a QIF file can be found here for reference purposes.   I haven't imported from a QIF file but I notice when I'm in one of my share trading registers, under the menu, FILE-IMPORT, there is a QIF option.

To see what a QIF file looks like simply export to QIF one of your existing share trading accounts.   To do this, you will have to activate the Export to QIF feature by firstly issuing a Ctrl-Shift-Z command.   Then try importing it back, obviously into a test Reckon file just to see that it does, import correctly.

• Andrew Bell
    Andrew Bell Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Sorry mate, Ctrl-Shift-Z does SFA.
  • st_6872571
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm using Reckon Accounts Personal 2016, so I can't speak for earlier versions or other Reckon products.    If you are using RA Personal 2016, the program does need to have the focus, that is, be in the program, before issuing the Ctrl-Shift-Z command.    The QIF export option only lasts until program termination.   Next time starting up, requires another Ctrl-Shift-Z.