Incorrect Supplier Paid and Reconciled Before Refund Received - How Do I Fix This?

Options
Ann-Marie_10060888
Ann-Marie_10060888 Member Posts: 4
edited June 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Hi there
I am using Reckon Accounts Plus 2019, and recently found out that I paid an invoice to the wrong supplier back in January - which has already been reconciled.
The supplier has refunded the amount paid to them in error, and I have paid the correct supplier.
How do I sort this out, accounts-wise, for GST - seeing as I've already said I took care of it with the correct (NOT) supplier back in January?

Comments

• Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi Ann-Marie... if you entered the bill payment back in January which was then reconciled... then you can just enter the refunded amount as a Make Deposit - and put it to a suspense account (I make sure every client of mine has a Bank Account called Items to Follow Up)... then when you made the payment to the correct supplier - you can do a Write Cheque and allocate this to Items to Follow Up as well - these 2 entries will cancel each other out - and you will just be left with the GST values etc that you originally entered.  I would put a memo on the Deposit and the Cheque detailing what has happened.  :)
  • Ann-Marie_10060888
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi Linda, thanks so much for replying. Just so I am clear ... I set up a bank account called “Items to Follow Up” and deposit the refunded amount into that (GST free, I’m assuming), and then I pay the correct supplier from that account, also GST free? I’m guessing I also need to alter the payee on the Jan payment (that included GST) to the supplier it actually went to, not who I thought it went to? Apologies for being so obtuse ... I’m new to the bookkeeping scene and have never paid someone incorrectly before :(
  • Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited May 2019
    Options
    No, leave the January entry as it was intended to be... ie paying off the correct supplier...  just make sure the 2 entries to Items to follow up (yes, you are correct no tax code on either of these) have good notes on what actually happened...
  • Ann-Marie_10060888
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Fantastic! Can’t thank you enough, Linda :)