Is there a limit to the total number of attached documents in my Reckon dataset?

I've been using Reckon Personal Plus when it was still run by Intuit. I have always used it on a Windows Pro platform -- currently Windows 10 Pro.

I also, as a matter of practice, attach relevant pdf documents to the more "important" accounting entries I make. Most entries with attached files would only have 1 attached document. There are a few that may have at the most 3 relevant and related files.

Up until last week, I have had no issue with this practice. Then, my software would abort and memory dump on me whenever I attach a file. I would religiously "Send" the error report it generates. If I review an attached file, it would abort on me. When the program aborts, my data appears to be intact and unaffected as I can confirm any new entries I may have made prior to the abort to be present when the software is restarted.

Is there a limit to the total amount of documents that can be attached to the data file? I have read somewhere that there is a limit of 255 accounts. Does this mean that there is also a limit to attached documents? In the same vein, is there a limit as to how many accounting entries I can have in my data file? Is there an easy way of aging out and deleting older entries without having to delete relevant entries and/or attached documents one entry/document at a time?

One other side effect of my issue is that when my software aborts, it seems to mess up with the status of my router. It may be coincidental, but it happens almost 90 of the time.

Thanks.

Answers

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @snugglepoz

Just to clarify, if you attempt the same entry without adding an attachment does it save correctly ie. without the software crashing?

Which version of Personal Plus are you currently using?

Is your file name more than 8 characters in length? If so, can you please shorten it to less than 8 characters then try again and confirm if the same behaviour continues.

In regard to your question on limits, I'm not actually sure of the answer to be honest but I'm checking in with our product team for more info around this.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• snugglepoz
    snugglepoz Member Posts: 3

hi rav,

entries that i add do get added correctly, although it may abort the program. as i said in my initial post, it appears that i have not actually lost any data. just that my attachments are not noted on the relevant entry. also, when i try to click on an existing attachment that was successfully added last month or last year it aborts the program. as i also noted, i do "Send" all the dump reports it generates.

the file names i have been using are descriptive as they are from scanned documents and therefore need to be more than 8 characters long. this saves a lot of anguish and confusion for me when there are questions that need answers, or when tax time comes.

the program version is Personal Plus 2022.

while i have your attention, rav, since maybe last year (vers PP 2021), i have noticed that my software flinches/flickers every so often. it does funny things to my session so that when it flickers while coding data, it sometimes results in an unwanted entry where the date or some other data is wrong. this flickering will carry on for about 5-10 seconds. the frequency is not predictable also. i don't remember having entered wrong data due to the flicker and then needing to delete it afterwards. unfortunately, because i cannot predict its occurrence, i am unable to "record" the event when it happens.

thanks.

tony

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager

Thanks for getting back to me Tony.

the file names i have been using are descriptive as they are from scanned documents and therefore need to be more than 8 characters long. this saves a lot of anguish and confusion for me when there are questions that need answers, or when tax time comes.

Apologies, I think I wasn't clear in my previous reply in regard to the character length. I was referring to shortening the file name of your main file that you're using with your Reckon Personal software itself rather than the individual attachments that you're attempting to add.

I have noticed that my software flinches/flickers every so often. it does funny things to my session so that when it flickers while coding data, it sometimes results in an unwanted entry where the date or some other data is wrong. this flickering will carry on for about 5-10 seconds.

In regard to the above, can you try the below steps as a troubleshooting measure -

• Close Personal Plus
    • Right click the desktop background
    • Select 'Personalize' to open the Preview page
    • In the 'Background' field, select Solid colour;
    • Close the screen.
    • Launch Personal Plus

Use Personal Plus as you normally would after that including the activity you'd normally conduct when you encounter the flicker issues. Does the issue persist?

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• snugglepoz
    snugglepoz Member Posts: 3

hi rav,

good news, in a way. i figured out what was causing the issues with attachments -- adobe acrobat software on pc. i tried to open a non-related document to view and it would look like it was opening the file but the session would end unceremoniously and just disappear from screen. no message, nothing. after investigating further, it appears that my acrobat reader decided to stop working on me. i had not done any updates as it was only used for reading pdf and not creating them. i decided to reinstall the whole program.

when in the PP program, i tried to view an attachment and was surprised to be able to view it. even those attachments that were done prior to the software aborting, had actually attached successfully. the problem with the pdf reader had other implications for me especially with work. i just couldn't understand why i couldn't suddenly open a password protected file that i had been able to do previously. this lead me to the decision to reinstall acrobat on my pc and fixed both issues i was having. i didn't actually think that the issues i had with PP was related to the other issue as i was not reading the attached file anyway.

so there... case solved.

as to the other issues i have, i may have to postpone attending to it for now. it isn't a show stopper and i will be on the road for the next week and will be unable to do things with my home pc.

thank you for helping with my issues. i will try your suggestions regarding the flickering issue on my return.

regards.

tony

• Rav

Great to hear you've solved it and thanks for posting your findings as well. Hopefully it helps fellow Community members who may find themselves in a similar situation at some point.

Cheers