EOFY Payroll

Coorarabox1
Coorarabox1 Member Posts: 32 Reckoner Reckoner

I have just realised I did not put every employee's initial YTD gross etc in when changing to STP Phase 2 part way through the Financial Year. I have now entered all initial YTD figures but they do not appear as correct totals gross, tax etc. on the EOFY submission. I have done my last pay run for this financial year. Will the ATO still get the correct figures from STP Phase 1?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Judi

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 16,167 Reckon Community Manager Community Manager

Hi Judi

I might need a bit more information from you but to start off, based on your older posts it looks like you were previously using Payroll Premier, is that correct?

If so, when you migrated over from Payroll Premier to Reckon Payroll, any balances that you paid to your employees would have been brought over to Reckon Payroll as an initial YTD balance.

Can I just clarify, was there a need to enter initial YTD balances for your employees? ie. were they missing?

🎉 Get rewarded for contributing to the Reckon Community! Learn how you could get a $100 gift voucher each month HERE.

• Coorarabox1

Thanks for your quick reply Rav. Yes I had been using Payroll Premier for over 20 years. To be honest, I panicked this afternoon when reading all the Reckon EOFY Payroll stuff and thought oh no, I haven't put the initial YTD figures in. When I checked there were some already there (only a few, not for every employee) and I can't remember if I put them in or they were transferred over. I'm sorry - I always seem to have a tricky or stupid question (or both!)

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 16,167 Reckon Community Manager Community Manager

Don't worry we'll get you back on track 🙂

Firstly, did you review the employee balances via the EOFY finalisation prior to making these changes to the initial YTD balances?

If you create a new EOFY finalisation in Reckon Payroll now, are the balances for each employee now correct with the changes/additions you made to the initial YTD balances?

If not, then if you were to remove those additions would they make those balances correct?

🎉 Get rewarded for contributing to the Reckon Community! Learn how you could get a $100 gift voucher each month HERE.

• Coorarabox1

Hi Rav

I think it may be nearly sorted. The Payroll Summary report obviously shows only the pays I've done through STP Phase 2 and now that I have checked the initial YTD figures the "Employees in this EOFY submission" shows the total figures for Phase 1 and Phase 2 combined - total Financial Year - is this correct? I haven't submitted it yet. One strange thing though - somehow an amount of $172.60 for one employee has come up on the EOFY submission as Overtime - it was for crutching sheep and was entered as such with no mention of overtime. Does it matter if it stays there as is??

Thanks Rav - cheers

Judi

• Rav

@Coorarabox1 Hi Judi

Yes, this year your total balances will be a combination of both STP Phase 1 and STP Phase 2 submissions since you would have started on STP Phase 2 part-way through the financial year. This is perfectly normal and accepted under the ATO's hybrid disaggregation method when transitioning to STP Phase 2.

There's a bit more information on this here - Disaggregation of gross in your EOFY finalisation in Reckon Payroll 📅

One strange thing though - somehow an amount of $172.60 for one employee has come up on the EOFY submission as Overtime - it was for crutching sheep and was entered as such with no mention of overtime. Does it matter if it stays there as is??

Is there a specific pay item that has been used for this particular payment to the employee? If so, has that item been setup/configured as an overtime item?

You can check this by going into Settings ➡️ Pay Items ➡️ Earnings ➡️ Find the specific pay item and review its settings.

• Coorarabox1

Thanks Rav

I do hope I have got this right. So… I needed to enter the final figures from STP Phase 1 as an initial YTD if those figures weren't carried over automatically when changing to STP Phase2? Is that correct?

So, now I have entered/checked all the opening balances for each employee as at the date of transition.

There were definitely only a few employees that Reckon transferred over - not all of them, so when I entered their details I omitted to put in YTD. I was concerend that the pays done in STP 1 would have doubled up if I entered an initial YTD from 1st July 2023 as the ATO would already have those figures, but I presume this is not so as this is a total EOFY submission??

The pay item I mentioned (crutching per sheep) shows that it has been put in as Overtime (and underneath says "from Payroll Premier". ) I have tried to edit it but it would not let me. It is definitely a "negotiated figure" depending on what type of "crutch" the shearer does.

I hope you can clear up a few things up so I don't have to annoy you any more for a while!

Thanks again Rav

Judi

• Coorarabox1

Rav - Can you please put me on the list to be contacted re terminated employees not appearing on the EOFY

submission - there were 3 backpackers that finished with us before we transferred to STP Phase 2. Obviously I'm not the only one who has realised they have been missed - albeit a bit late.

Thanks again for everything so far.

Judi

• Rav

Morning Judi

Ok lets cover off a few things;

So… I needed to enter the final figures from STP Phase 1 as an initial YTD if those figures weren't carried over automatically when changing to STP Phase2? Is that correct?

So, now I have entered/checked all the opening balances for each employee as at the date of transition.

There were definitely only a few employees that Reckon transferred over - not all of them, so when I entered their details I omitted to put in YTD. I was concerend that the pays done in STP 1 would have doubled up if I entered an initial YTD from 1st July 2023 as the ATO would already have those figures, but I presume this is not so as this is a total EOFY submission??

In regard to the above, you shouldn't really have to do anything as your migration from Payroll Premier should have brought over all your employees and their balances paid for the 2023/24 financial year. I'm a little concerned to hear that some employees didn't come over.

Were these employees paid in Payroll Payroll Premier at some point in 2023/24?

There's currently an issue where employees who only have an initial YTD balance aren't visibly appearing in the EOFY finalisation in Reckon Payroll. Do these employees fit into this situation?

I just want to confirm this because if you add them in Reckon Payroll now and their details are not exactly what they were in Payroll Premier, it will create a duplicate income statement for the employee on the ATO end.

The pay item I mentioned (crutching per sheep) shows that it has been put in as Overtime (and underneath says "from Payroll Premier". ) I have tried to edit it but it would not let me. It is definitely a "negotiated figure" depending on what type of "crutch" the shearer does.

Once a pay item has been created the type can't be changed.

If this particular item was setup as overtime and its not correct then I'd suggest creating a more appropriate earning item that fits this requirement.

You'd have a much better idea than me but I imagine maybe a variable type earning item could potentially suit better?

Has the balance from the existing (overtime) crutching earning item been added as an initial YTD balance OR has been it been used in a pay run created in Reckon Payroll?

Either way, once you've created the new earning item, you'll need to make some amendments. If that item has been used in a pay run you'll need to edit the existing pay run(s) where the overtime crutching item has been used and remove it from the pay run and enter the new item instead then re-mark the pay run as paid.

If its just been added as an initial YTD balance for an employee then its tad easier as you just need to remove that item from initial YTD and instead add the new earning item you create.

Sorry, I know that's a fair bit of information and hopefully it makes sense but let me know if you have any questions around this.

Can you please put me on the list to be contacted re terminated employees not appearing on the EOFY

This one is super easy 🙂 Just bookmark this post particular post - ⚠️ Some employees not appearing in EOFY finalisation - Reckon Payroll and you'll automatically receive a notification when there is a new post published. Hopefully the new release that fixes that issue isn't too far off.

For info on how to bookmark a post on the Community, click HERE.

• Coorarabox1

Hi again Rav

I'm positive only about 5 employees were migrated over (I was initially dealing with Waleed to set a time for the migration and then a lady did it remotely) … (I think!) My last pay run in STP Phase 2 was 7/11/23 with 2 casuals although there would have been up to 10 or 11 still "on the books". I remember our casual shearer being migrated over and he had only been paid twice in July whereas others had been paid July through to October/November and they did not appear. So I just copied all their details over from Payroll Premier but as I mentioned before I did not put their initial YTD balances in until this last week when I realised I should have.

3 casual backpackers who worked between July and September were terminated in Payroll Premier and they were not migrated over so I presume your link re terminated employees will help.

Re the Overtime error - I'll have a go at sorting this out re your suggestions.

I can't believe I'm giving you so much to deal with when we have very few employees.

Thanks Rav

Judi

• Rav

Apologies for my delay in getting back to you Judi, was a flat out day yesterday 😮‍💨

Thanks for the additional info as well, it definitely helps.
    It sounds like you've done everything right in adding the missing employees who didn't come over to Reckon Payroll. I'm still unsure as to why they wouldn't have come over in your migration. The only thing I really want to reinforce around this is ensuring the employee details you've entered into Reckon Payroll for this particular set of employees is exactly the same as what they were in Payroll Premier, and I'm specifically referring to their TFN, employee number, name and DOB etc.

The only reason I'm focusing on this specifically is to avoid a duplicate income statement being generated for the employee on the ATO end ie. one from the balances you've submitted from Payroll Premier and then another from the balances submitted from Reckon Payroll.

If the details are kept the same, particularly the employee number and TFN then it will be allocated to the existing income statement.

• Coorarabox1

Hi Rav

I know how frantically busy you would be with all these queries on the community page. I have checked every employee's details to match and that's fine. I have now entered 3 Backpackers who were terminated pre STP Phase 2 but will have to wait until I find out how they will be included re the termination issue.

I'm sure I'll find more problems before I'm ready to send of the EOFY submission!!

Thanks Rav

Have a restful night.

Judi

• Rav

Yes, I agree holding off on sending through the EOFY finalisation just for a little longer is probably advisable. At least just until we can get the update out that fixes the issue where some employees aren't appearing in the EOFY finalisation which hopefully is this week.

That will give you a better indication that everything is as it should be and ready to be finalised.

• Rav

@Coorarabox1 Hi Judi

Just a quick heads up if you haven't already received the email notification earlier, Reckon Payroll received an update earlier today which fixes the issue where employees with only an initial YTD balance were not appearing in the EOFY finalisation. More info HERE.

Any employees you have in Reckon Payroll who fall within that situation should now be appearing in the 2023/24 EOFY and be ready for you to finalise.