Can I use MS Office 64 bit with RA2018 ?

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
Environment:
Computer: Intel i7, 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit fully updated
Reckon Accounts Premier 2018
MS Office Professional 2016

Currently using MS Office 32-bit.
RA sends emails through Outlook 2016 with no issues

Considering changing to MS Office 64-bit
Will RA send email correctly through Outlook 2016 64-bit ?

Has anyone already tried this ?
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

• 3,116 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell, Accredited Partner

• 40,708 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Did you check the system requirements?
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

Minimum system requirements:
  • 2.0 GHz Intel® Pentium® IV (or equivalent)
  • At least 512MB of RAM for a single user and at least 1GB of RAM for multiple, concurrent users
  • 1GB of RAM for Windows® Vista, 7, 8 and 10 users (Windows 8 &10 require 1GB for 32-bit & 2GB for 64-bit)
  • 1GB RAM for Windows Server 2003/2008/2012*
  • Windows 7/8/10 operating system
  • 2.5 GB of disk space (additional space required for company files)
  • Microsoft® Internet Explorer 7.0 or later required
  • Microsoft® .NET Framework Common Language Runtime 2.0 & 3.5 (provided on Reckon Accounts Installation DVD, requires an additional 150MB)
My computer is well above that
This is the question....
Will RA send email correctly through 64-bit Outlook 2016 ?
Has this been tested ?
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 64,378 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Steve,
I've checked with the product team on this and there have been some issues with Outlook 64bit for some users and not for others so its not very definitive.
Photo of Robert Smeallie

Robert Smeallie

• 900 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rav,

I'm running the latest Windows 10, Microsoft Office 365 64bit version. Question: Which Outlook are you talking about? Is it the Outlook in the Office, and if so, are you using it as a pop mail reader or a html mail reader? I had previously been using Outlook as a pop mail reader for years so I could keep a record of my emails in their folders but then when Windows 10 was installed, Yahoo Mail and Gmail spat the dummy on pop and smtp mail, saying there was insufficient security using those formats and insisting I use the HTML based email reader like getting your mail directly from Hotmail.com or Live.com or Outlook.com using your web browser to read from your email account.

I couldn't even use Mozilla Thunderbird as it is a pop mail reader. Anyway, that was my experience. Others might have had better luck getting their email. Now I'm using the Mail App in Windows 10 which lets me open any of my HTML emails from the one app.

Robert Smeallie
Photo of Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell, Accredited Partner

• 40,708 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
No one uses pop servers any more We use IMAP servers. Pop servers are passe
Photo of AdrianG001

AdrianG001

• 72 Points
I have never faced this issue before since my citrix vdi is customizable ! I can gear up its performance if a particular update or software demands.

Adrian Gates
Sr. Finance Expert - TRC
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

Kevin, I use POP for 5 email accounts, including gmail.com, Hotmail.com and outlook.com. All work correctly in Outlook 2016 if configured properly.
Reason ? An incident couple years ago my domain provider managed to lose large amount of emails from mail server, and no backups.
If I was using IMAP would have lost the lot.
Using POP, I have local copies of PST files which I backup myself.

Anyway that's a bit off-topic......