I tried to activate online a few times over the weekend and succeeded after about 6 tries.
What happened was:
After paying on the phone, I selected step 2 to update.
It pops up a screen to say it is connecting online. This appears for a second or two then disappears.
There was no indication that it was successful.
I would then review the license via help, which confirmed there was no change.
Finally the license details were updated, however during this sequence of tries I installed ver 2018 and did a share price update so am not sure when the license update actually succeeded.
There needs to be a further pop-up to indicate if the update attempt was successful or failed, rather than the connecting pop-up just disappearing.